mvalpreda
2 Iron

Install Dell OMSA in ESXi (or something else to monitor hardware health)

Jump to solution

I took one of our spare Dell 2950s and installed ESXi on it. I am now trying to figure out how to install Dell OpenManage System Administrator.I downloaded the OM_5.5.0_ManNode_A00.tar.gz from Dell's site and installed VMWare Infrastructure Client and RCLI on my workstation as well.

I have searched around quite a bit and only find instructions for ESX. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to finish this up?

What I want to do is be able to monitor hardware, expand RAID when needed, see why the server is blinking orange, etc.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Install Dell OMSA in ESXi (or something else to monitor hardware health)

Jump to solution

It is possible to do on ESXi 5 as well.

This is the link and instructions for installing OMSA 6.5 on ESXi 5.

Download the Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi 5

en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

Log onto a Windows machine on the same network.

Type in the IP of the ESXi server in a Internet Explorer window.

Download the VI Remote CLI tool, or Vsphere. Those tools can be downloaded right there from the webpage that comes up.

Install the offline VIB bundle

Copy the OMSA 6.5 VIB to the ESXi host (/var/log/vmware or /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>)

Run the following command from the vSphere CLI prompt:

esxcli.exe --server <server> software vib install –d <remote path to VIB>

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib install -d /var/log/vmwar/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi_OM650-offline_bundle-467660.zip

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the   changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_6.5-0000

VIBs Removed:

VIBs Skipped:

Reboot, Check Software > Advanced Settings for UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled should already be set to 1

Verify OMSA VIB on ESXi 5

esxcli.exe --server <server> software vib list

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib list

Enter password:

Name                    Version                             Vendor  Acceptance Level  Install Date

----------------------  ----------------------------------  ------  ----------------  ------------

Dell-Configuration-VIB  5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

Dell-License-VIB        5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

OpenManage              6.5-0000                            Dell    VMwareAccepted    2011-10-05

That installs the server side of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for the workstation -

Download OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node version 6.5 from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

ftp.us.dell.com/.../OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.5.0-2247_A01.10.exe

On a separate windows machine install OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node and choose ‘Custom’ install.

When choosing features make sure Server Administrator Web Server is selected (If installing on a desktop it could be the only option).

Once the install is complete, double-click on the server administrator icon.

On the login page Enter the ESXi server ip address, use root for the user, and the  root password. Make sure to check the option to ignore certificate warnings.

Done! You should be able to access the OpenManage Managed Node Web Interface.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

7 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

ESXi does not support OpenManage. You will not be able to install OM agents on ESXi. You should be able to use VI Client to see why the server is blinking 'orange'. But you will not be able to perform any RAID configuration on ESXi. Here is a link that will help you with systems managment on ESXi. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/eslvmwre/. Look for document titles "VMware ESXi Software on Dell PowerEdge Servers Systems Management Guide"

- Bala

0 Kudos
wwwillie
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hopefully by now you have found that this is possible on ESXi 4.0 U1. See Here ->

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

0 Kudos
winstontj
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

how about on 5?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It is possible to do on ESXi 5 as well.

This is the link and instructions for installing OMSA 6.5 on ESXi 5.

Download the Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi 5

en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

Log onto a Windows machine on the same network.

Type in the IP of the ESXi server in a Internet Explorer window.

Download the VI Remote CLI tool, or Vsphere. Those tools can be downloaded right there from the webpage that comes up.

Install the offline VIB bundle

Copy the OMSA 6.5 VIB to the ESXi host (/var/log/vmware or /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>)

Run the following command from the vSphere CLI prompt:

esxcli.exe --server <server> software vib install –d <remote path to VIB>

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib install -d /var/log/vmwar/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi_OM650-offline_bundle-467660.zip

Enter password:

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the   changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_6.5-0000

VIBs Removed:

VIBs Skipped:

Reboot, Check Software > Advanced Settings for UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled should already be set to 1

Verify OMSA VIB on ESXi 5

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib list

Enter password:

Name                    Version                             Vendor  Acceptance Level  Install Date

----------------------  ----------------------------------  ------  ----------------  ------------

Dell-Configuration-VIB  5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

Dell-License-VIB        5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

OpenManage              6.5-0000                            Dell    VMwareAccepted    2011-10-05

That installs the server side of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for the workstation -

Download OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node version 6.5 from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

ftp.us.dell.com/.../OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.5.0-2247_A01.10.exe

On a separate windows machine install OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node and choose ‘Custom’ install.

When choosing features make sure Server Administrator Web Server is selected (If installing on a desktop it could be the only option).

Once the install is complete, double-click on the server administrator icon.

On the login page Enter the ESXi server ip address, use root for the user, and the  root password. Make sure to check the option to ignore certificate warnings.

Done! You should be able to access the OpenManage Managed Node Web Interface.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

shartma1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Import the zip file into update manager.  Apply like a normal patch.

Problem solved.

0 Kudos
nooz
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

When i enter the command below I dont see the two item in the list below and when I go to my server IP :1311 it times out everytime, any help?

0 Kudos
JOHNADCO
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Following this thread.   So far I have never gotten any of this to install.   I have tried it at the host and the Vcenter level.

0 Kudos