Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2015 15:00

Is it Possible to get the version and set up DRAC / iDrac remotely

Hello,

I've just started working for a new company with a lot of in production Dell Servers. They all have a DRAC in them that is not connected or configured.

I am wondering, is it possible to get the Drac version and possibly configure it without connecting directly to Drac since that's not possible at this point without restarting the servers and creating extra production downtime.

Thank you

15 Posts

March 30th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

You do not need to reboot the server to configure the iDRAC. Since you have not set it up before, you might want to use the LCD panel to configure the iDRAC IP address (to static or DHCP). See this video and use the last section "Configuration using chassis LCD". Once you have the iDRAC IP address configured, you can connect to the iDRAC using a Web Browser and do further configuration. 

Hope that helps,

Ajay @ Dell

2 Posts

March 30th, 2015 07:00

Thank you Ajay,

but I was hoping to get this initial query and configuration done remotely and than have "remote hands" at the datacenter plug in the cables to exact ports since the servers are located in remote sites.

If I am to install DELL powershell module, would i be able to do this without the ability to connect directly to DRAC?

15 Posts

March 30th, 2015 09:00

Hi

Remote configuration requires the iDRAC or the server be connected to the network. You could try one of the following options:

1. If your iDRAC is connected to the network and has a DHCP configured IP address :

- You can open a web browser and type in the IP address of the iDRAC and login to the iDRAC Web interface. This allows you to do configuration remotely.

- You can also use Dell Powershell Cmdlets to configure iDRAC/BIOS/NIC etc but you will need the iDRAC's IP address to remotely perform these tasks. This blog gives further details on using powershell - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/10/29/managing-dell-poweredge-servers-with-windows-powershell-and-dell-idrac.aspx

- You could also use our Openmanage Essentials management console application to configure/monitor/update/deploy the iDRAC

en.community.dell.com/.../1989.openmanage-essentials

2. If you do not have access to the iDRAC over the network, you need to have access to the server (OS) remotely. You can remote login to your server OS and install OMSA which can be used to configure the iDRAC. 

en.community.dell.com/.../1760.openmanage-server-administrator-omsa

Regards,
Ajay @ Dell 

No Events found!