michaelr985
1 Copper

Lifecycle Controller unable to connect to ftp.dell.com

Jump to solution

I has been a while since I last tried to update my R720xd servers. But to today I have been battling them them trying to get the firmware update function to work.

When testing the network connection it tells me it is unable to resolve host name for ftp.dell.com. If i just press the next button it tells me invalid ip address or share name.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
michaelr985
1 Copper

RE: Lifecycle Controller unable to connect to ftp.dell.com

Jump to solution

efredriksen, you are correct. The Dell FTP site is still ftp.dell.com and it not going away any time soon. I have seen some Dell teams are posting files to Box but for drivers & catolog files, ftp.dell.com is the main location. I am not sure what SpeedStep is referring to the ftp address being decommissioned. If that is indeed true then Dell needs to come out and make it very clear and update all their documentation.

I think some of the confusion is to blame on the other DNS names the FTP can be reached at, such as.
downloads.dell.com
ftp1.us.dell.com
ftp2.us.dell.com
ftp.us.dell.com

The reason I opened this post was resolved under case 940656672. It was a networking issue on my end. My r720xd is plugged into a HP switch stack. I was using LACP Trunk ports with Windows NIC Teaming. But inside the preboot Lifecycle Controller interface, it wasn't playing nice with my trunk ports the NICs were plugged into. Turning off the trunk port fixed the issue but is not ideal way of dealing with it.

Link: http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN296511
Using the link above will take you to the Knowledge Base page for Updating Dell PowerEdge servers via bootable media. I found this to be a good alternative option to using the Lifecycle Controller.

dgitter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ftp.dell.com is still the correct entry to use in the LCC to download firmware updates.

14 Replies
speedstep
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

ftp://ftp.dell.com is decommissioned

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/oth-r720xd.html

its now

http://downloads.dell.com/published/Pages/index.html

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
michaelr985
1 Copper

Jump to solution

When I replace ftp.dell.com with downloads.dell.com I get a network connection failure. Then when I try and include the http:// in the field I get unable to resolve hostname errors. Maybe you can explain exactly what I should be typing in what field because I am not able to figure it out.

efredriksen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Can you please go into a bit more detail here?

What specifically are we supposed to use in place of ftp.dell.com for a Lifecycle Controller firmware update via FTP?  I've tried googling for an hour now but haven't found any other blogs, announcements, forum posts or anything else  about this.

0 Kudos
efredriksen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Also, ftp.dell.com does not appear to be *fully* decommissioned as I can still browse the firmware directories (and others):

ftp.dell.com/.../

0 Kudos
michaelr985
1 Copper

Jump to solution

efredriksen, you are correct. The Dell FTP site is still ftp.dell.com and it not going away any time soon. I have seen some Dell teams are posting files to Box but for drivers & catolog files, ftp.dell.com is the main location. I am not sure what SpeedStep is referring to the ftp address being decommissioned. If that is indeed true then Dell needs to come out and make it very clear and update all their documentation.

I think some of the confusion is to blame on the other DNS names the FTP can be reached at, such as.
downloads.dell.com
ftp1.us.dell.com
ftp2.us.dell.com
ftp.us.dell.com

The reason I opened this post was resolved under case 940656672. It was a networking issue on my end. My r720xd is plugged into a HP switch stack. I was using LACP Trunk ports with Windows NIC Teaming. But inside the preboot Lifecycle Controller interface, it wasn't playing nice with my trunk ports the NICs were plugged into. Turning off the trunk port fixed the issue but is not ideal way of dealing with it.

Link: http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN296511
Using the link above will take you to the Knowledge Base page for Updating Dell PowerEdge servers via bootable media. I found this to be a good alternative option to using the Lifecycle Controller.

dgitter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ftp.dell.com is still the correct entry to use in the LCC to download firmware updates.

Highlighted
Technigogo
1 Nickel

Dell 14G Lifecycle Controller pre-fills downloads.dell.com -- IT"S WRONG!

Jump to solution

After about 2 hours of trying to get the necessary updates on this new 14G server out of the box, I finally pieced all the incorrect information together and found the working solution. Here is what you need to know:

1. When you set the network settings for the Lifecycle Controller, I could not get the IPV6 to work with Static or DHCP. It will error. Here is what I figured out - just set the IPV4 and leave the IPV6 however you want. Once you hit NEXT, it will check the configuration and give you an error for IPV6 -BUT- it also has already saved the IPV4 settings so now just hit CANCEL. You now have a working IPV4 connection.

2. When you proceed to the Firmware Updates, the Lifecycle Controller will pre-fill the address with downloads.dell.com which you will think would be right, it's not and it won't work. Fill in the old familiar "ftp.dell.com" and forget about all the other fields. That's all you need.

Nerdulus
1 Copper

Re: Dell 14G Lifecycle Controller pre-fills downloads.dell.c

Jump to solution

Thanks!! Glad I bypassed the other incorrect posts and found your post - spot on for the IPV6 issue and the Firmware update issue!

0 Kudos
David Dame
1 Copper

Re: Dell 14G Lifecycle Controller pre-fills downloads.dell.c

Jump to solution

Crazy... how does this go on so long and Dell never corrects this issue?

0 Kudos