Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2012 06:00

MUMC and VCenter Plugin

Hello everyone,

To make it quick:

We recently changed the whole infrastructure, including a new UPS: (1920w) http://www.dellups.com/solutionUSS_list.asp?SOLID=793120&ResellerIDCode=1 .

We've got a VMware Essential Plus edition (with a Vcenter) and wanted to use the MUMC to manage the correct shutdown of VMs and ESX hosts.

MUMC is installed on the same VM as the Vcenter, windows firewall is disabled (Vcenter default ports are used).

The main problem is when we add the Vcenter to the virtualization module (tried login with domain\user or user@domain).

We can see this error in the log file:

Type :

Error

Module : VMwareWebService
Détails : Host'Vcenter.xxx.lan': Session is not authenticated.

The Vcenter plugin has never showed up in the Vcenter.

Any great idea how to solve this will be welcomed.. we didn't find any suggestion or detail concerning this error.

(I can give more details if it can help)

1 Message

November 26th, 2012 09:00

A.Giraud,

I am having this same issue using VCenter 5.1 and I am running the Dell MUMC software on a Windows Server 2008 RC2 VM.

After struggling for 2 days I finally called both VMware and Dell technical support.  Dell says this is a known issue with VMware Vcenter 5.1 and AD integration.  They are currently working on a solution to this issue.  If anyone else has gotten the MUMC software to work with VCenter 5.1please chime in because as it now stands there is allegedly no work around known to Dell.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 26th, 2012 10:00

Dell says this is a known issue with VMware Vcenter 5.1 and AD integration

This is correct. I received a response from one of our escalation groups and was informed that MUMC will not function when AD is enabled in 5.1. There are plans to make MUMC compatible with the new AD functionality of 5.1, but at this time it is just in the planning stages and there is no ETA of when it will be compatible.

I was informed that ULNM will work with AD enabled, and MUMC will work if AD is disabled.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

November 21st, 2012 09:00

Hello a.giraud

I would suggest reviewing this setup document. The first thing that comes to mind is whether or not Vcenter is installed on port 443. MUMC will only communicate to Vcenter via port 443. The other thing to keep in mind is that only network management is supported through virtualization. You will need the network management card installed in the UPS.

http://www.dellups.com/pdf/Dell-TIN-UPS003_VMware_vCenter_Shutdown_Scenarios-10-11-12.pdf

If the document does not help resolve your issues let us know.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

November 21st, 2012 11:00

What version of VMware are you using, and what OS is installed on this VM?

Add the user account or create a new user account and add it to the ESX Admins group. Make sure the account has full access. Test with that account and see if it has authentication issues.

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/09/joining-vsphere-hosts-to-active-directory.html

I'll continue researching the issue on my end. Let me know the outcome of the elevated user account.

Thanks

4 Posts

November 21st, 2012 11:00

Hi,

Thanks for answering already.

I already went through this document and checked that my 443 port is set for https communication. Of course my 1920W Ups has a NMC installed.

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 00:00

Welcome back,

We're using Vsphere 5.1.0 799731 on Vcenter and 5.1.0 838463 on ESXi Hosts.

VCenter is on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter SP1.

I followed your link to add each users/group to the Vcenter/hosts (ESX Admins, admin & admin group of my domain) and rebooted my VCenter.

We didn't reboot the ESX hosts since the syslog file doesn't show anymore this message :

nssquery: Group lookup failed for ' \ESX Admins

The error keeps happening.

4 Posts

November 27th, 2012 00:00

Thank you for sharing this information Sean. I hope we'll hear about a new version of MUMC or some kind of fix for that, pretty soon.

5 Posts

January 16th, 2014 13:00

Has this been resolved?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 16th, 2014 16:00

Has this been resolved?

I have not received any new information, and I see nothing in any release notes to indicate anything has changed. I'll put in an information request to verify.

Thanks

5 Posts

January 17th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for response.

I would really like to see this working..

• 

6.2K Posts

January 17th, 2014 12:00

It appears to be working in the latest release. There is no mention in the release notes, but we installed 1.08 on a lab server that has VCenter with AD integration enabled. We were able to log into MUMC using AD credentials.

http://www.dellups.com/upgrade/default.asp

If you encounter any issues with AD integration let me know the specifics and I'll look into it.

Thanks

5 Posts

January 17th, 2014 13:00

I am using "mumc_win_01_08_0015" version.

After connecting with "domain\user" credentials I can briefly see plugin as registered but than page refreshes and this is what I end up :

Center Plugin: Unregistered

Connection State: Connected

vCenter tab for UPS never shows up.

• 

6.2K Posts

January 17th, 2014 13:00

Could you give some detail on what your configuration is.

The lab environment we tested on is set up like this:

VCenter installed on a 2008R2 VM - VM is a member of the domain
ESXi is installed on a physical host - Host is a member of the domain

We used domain admin credentials when adding the hypervisor to MUMC. If you do not use domain admin then it may not work properly. If that does not work then uninstall and reinstall MUMC.

Thanks

5 Posts

January 21st, 2014 13:00

We have two ESXi 5.1-733733 in cluster setup with shared storage and vMotion enabled.

vCenter and ESXi have same conf/setup like you mentioned.

Only thing I have to check if I am in "domain admin" group since the vCenter sits in different domain.

Also if I am not wrong plug-in is there more for convenience in cluster setup than for necessity?

Is it just enough configuration in MUMC console (Nodes Settings)?

Regards,

• 

6.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2014 13:00

Also if I am not wrong plug-in is there more for convenience in cluster setup than for necessity?

Yes, the plugins installed to the VMs are not required. All of the actions take place in Vcenter.

Is it just enough configuration in MUMC console (Nodes Settings)?

Yes, you can do it all through MUMC. Let me know if there is any change adding it with a Domain Admin account.

Thanks

No Events found!