Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2017 05:00

PE M620 hangs initializing - iDRAC not ready

Hello,

within a M1000e test enclosure, after a power shortage, some blades (all M620) restarted successfully while some other didn't.

All those which didn't restarted remain at initializing state, while racadm getversion states iDRAC not ready.

Already tried:

- removed and reinserted blade
- CMC failover
- iDRAC Reset from CMC

What else can be done.
Thanks in advance,

FR

• 

8.5K Posts

November 13th, 2017 13:00

Hi,

Do the blades come up at all or is it just the iDRAC that is not working? Is the blade BIOS up to date?

4 Posts

November 13th, 2017 13:00

Hi, thanks for answerring.

The blades are stuck with amber led blinking and do not boot (inventory is not complete at CMC level).

I would like to underline that everything was working before power was lost.

BIOS is at the same level of other blades (in the same chassis) that restarted regularly and are now up and running.

Thanks again.

FR

• 

8.5K Posts

November 13th, 2017 15:00

How many blades are affected? Are they under warranty?

4 Posts

November 13th, 2017 15:00

7 blades out of 16. No warranty at this moment :-(

• 

8.5K Posts

November 14th, 2017 09:00

Can you try swapping the one of the non working ones to a slot with a working one?

4 Posts

November 17th, 2017 01:00

Thanks for answerring Josh,

I swapped 2 of the blades (one of those that restarted after the outage and one of those that didn't).
The blades behaviour hasn' changed: the one that didn't start has not started and the other has started.

That would make me think that blades have something broken but this appears very strange to me. All the 7 with same behaviour "just" for having been powered off?

Thanks again.

FR 

1 Message

February 7th, 2018 00:00

Hi, did you find a solution to this? I'm seeing the same symptoms on some of my M620's - iDrac not ready after a reboot even.

12 Posts

July 14th, 2018 20:00

Was a solution ever found to this?

I purchased a set of used blades for my home lab and while I have gotten 1 of them to work the other wont as the have this behavior. I know the memory and CPU are good as I have pulled it from the working system. Really hard to troubleshoot something with no access, being that these will not pass the iDRAC init they will not talk to the chassis and are not able to be powered on. I have also performed a virtual reseat and an iDRAC reset to no avail.

CMC shows no issues with the blades that I am not expecting. To get the 2 thus far working I had to do a firmware update on the iDRAC to a compatable version with the VRTX, and then I was able to power on and using the LC perform a full update on the blades. Just looking to do the same on the rest but not able to get past the iDRAC init.

12 Posts

July 16th, 2018 13:00

So, for anyone curious as to what I have done to resolve this on a few systems.

While I have had no issues with power or anything, on inserting a number of M620 blades into the VRTX chassis I was receiving an amber light. This light does not provide any details as to the issue to the CMC and the iDRAC never fully initialized so unless you do the physical diagnostics (Removing all removable parts and replacing them.). Being that I know the CPU and memory are good as they came from a fully functional system so the Dual SD card, NDC and RAID cards are what can be removed. After swapping these devices (Happen to have spares.) I was able to get the 2 systems working. one day I will get around to testing out these parts in a working system to drill in on what part it is that has magically stopped working, but figured I would pass along what I had found to get around the amber blade light/error which bricks the blade from functioning.

Thank you, Bill

3 Posts

September 29th, 2020 14:00

Did you ever figure out what the deal was with the servers that wouldn't come back up?  I have an M620 that started doing this same thing.

2.9K Posts

September 29th, 2020 15:00

Hello,

What troubleshooting steps have you taken? If you'd like, there are some recommendations I can make. However, I have seen this sort of issue end up requiring a motherboard replacement in the past.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2021 17:00

I have a M1000e with 14 1/2 blades and 1 full blade.

The blades were removed for a location change and when reinserted none will power on.

All say "iDRAC booting" on the chassis LED and when trying to power on through the chassis ui I get the error "iDRAC Not Ready. See CMC Log for Details"

CMC log is clean, no errors

I have removed and reset all servers

All firmware was up to date and everything was gracefully shutdown and working fine before move. 

• 

3.2K Posts

January 24th, 2021 23:00

Hi,

please try all Blades Single in every Slot.

regards Martin

25 Posts

August 8th, 2023 05:00

I had the same issue and lost 1 M620 blade after a power outage.

One of the 12 M620 blades is stuck IDRAC status "initializing" power state OFF since last year.

Other informations in CMC is showing "Present YES", Health OK, cpu information "unavailable", total system memory "unavailable", Model "N/A"

AttributeValue
Slot4
Slot Name 
PresentYes
Health

Server Model 
Service Tag 
iDRAC Firmware 
CPLD Version 
BIOS Version 
Host Name 
Operating System 
CPU InformationUnavailable
Total System MemoryUnavailable

• 

2.1K Posts

August 8th, 2023 06:00

Hi, I think you already tried some steps on the discussed thread. But please check it these steps either. Like: 

try swapping the non working blade to a slot with a working one

try draining the power from the blade

try resetting the iDRAC from CMC

try updating bios and iDRAC FW

No Events found!