Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

December 8th, 2010 03:00

PE2950 BMC - IPMI not accessible after powering off

Hi,

I'm trying to get out-of-band IPMI working on a PowerEdge 2950 (BIOS v2.6.1, BMC v1.77) server. Remote access is configured with a static IP (and the machine I'm testing access from is on the same subnet, connected to the same switch). While the server is powered on, I can ping the BMC IP, access via IPMISH works and the network switch sees two MACs on the port the server is connected to, as expected.

However, as soon as I power off the server (either via OS or IPMISH), BMC is not accessible any more and the switch shows no MACs on the port the server is connected to. The corresponding server and switch ethernet port LEDs still remain on though (i.e. it's definitely still powered).

I have tried disabling spanning tree protocol on the relevant ports and have also tried two different switches (3Com gigabit stacked  & HP PoE) to no avail. Has anyone else experience this problem where access to BMC only works then the machine is powered on? It would be useful to be able to turn on the server remotely but that is not possible due to this problem.

The closest thread I could find regarding this issue is by someone back in 2007. Apologies if I have missed something.

Regards,

VT

2 Posts

December 17th, 2010 04:00

In the mean time I've updated BMC firmware to v2.37 but unfortunately this has not helped, so I've run out of ideas what could be causing this not to work! If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear.

Regards,
VT

5 Posts

December 28th, 2012 10:00

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?  I have a PowerEdge SC1425 that started having the same error "BMC is not accessible".  It was working up to about a week or so ago.  There have been no changes that I am aware of either.

No Events found!