Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2011 04:00

Platform Update via CIFS

Hello everybody,

does anybody hav a step-by-step guide that describes the procedure hao to update the IDRAC via CIFS share?

Thanks

Marc

892 Posts

April 15th, 2011 08:00

well, it depends on the system, on the 11g systems, using the Platform update function in USC is the easiest. The method below discussesa cifs chare via virtual media, but you cant update the idrac while using the virtual media, since the idrac is going to reset during the flash. What model system(s) are we talking about?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smdrac3/idrac/idrac17mono/en/ug/pdf/ug.pdf

13 Posts

April 15th, 2011 09:00

sorry ;-)

without vFlash :-)

13 Posts

April 15th, 2011 09:00

Thanks for your support ;-).

It is a R710 with IDRAC Enterprise without.

I must update our customers server's over a remote connection without any interaction from the customer. Therefore, i can't use the USB Stick Option. And i won't to this via FTP from the Dell website.

Thats the reason why i will use the CIFS Method from USC or via the IDRAC Website (Remote Media).

892 Posts

April 15th, 2011 10:00

So I'm just curious, you remote into the drac, then hit your share from within Windows or Linux and then run individual update packages?

13 Posts

April 16th, 2011 12:00

To say the truth, i am not sure about the best practise.

How about that:

Over a remote connection i log in to the idrac and start the usc. Then start platform update using the cifs option.

And here is may understanding problem. What must i provide over this file share? exe files, or a .iso file or a catalog.xml file?

At the moment, it is not possible for me to establish a connection from the usc to a file share. Some documentations recomend the file share credentials like this:

Domain\Username. In some other docs i saw it like Username@domain. What is now the right notation?

Both lead to no result.

Or, you may have an other best practise to update idracs complete over a remote connection without any interactions from a third person. And in some cases, there are more than one server in a remote location. Mostly up to 5-8 servers.

Ähm, and sorry for bad english.

892 Posts

April 18th, 2011 09:00

on the share, you must have a repository of files. This repository normally would be the Server Update Utility (SUU), you can download the SUU 6.5 (when it becomes available, hopefully today) and place the extracted files from that iso in your cifs share. Lets say for example you call the share "fshare".
in USC, you would select cifs, your share name would be \\systemname\fshare.  NOTE: you should also try using the ip address for the share name like this: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\fshare.

For the domain and username, this is kind of odd, in our case, we are in the domain, so at my location, we use first initial_last name  (no domain specified)
if you have trouble when using the domain, try not using the domain name.  For the password, (self explanitory)

For the Catalog location or update package path, if you use SUU as the repository, leave this blank.
If the name of the share is fshare, extract all the SUU files to this folder directly, dont create fshare then create a subfolder and then extract the iso files to this folder, this will probably fail.  

IMPORTANT NOTE: when the idrac updates, you WILL lose connection to the system untill it completes, wait at least 20 minutes before trying to reconnect

13 Posts

April 18th, 2011 10:00

Many many thanks for your support and your time :--).

I will do your described workaround today in the evening and give you feedback as soon as possible.

13 Posts

April 18th, 2011 12:00

Harharhar!!!!

Yeah, it works :-)))).

Now i can update the server in all remote locations, without any interaction of third person. And thats all OS independent.

Many thanks!

Thanks for your support.

No Events found!