Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2017 17:00

PowerEdge R410/CentOS 5.11 OMSA reports "no controller found" still running!

We are running an antiquated PoS system in CentOS 5.11 on a PowerEdge R410 ( ). As the OS was "end of life" years ago, I need to figure out how to migrate to the newest CentOS our software will work on (no install disks but stable as all get out!). On to my immediate issue:
OMSA has been reporting " outdated driver" and " minimum driver required" for the raid card, but I was unsuccessful at performing said upgrade ( problems with DKMS and missing source code...).
(BTW I am a "Google-taught" newb.) I figured the best course of action would be to clone the system to an Optiplex 360 with Perc6I in order to learn w/o fear of disaster. I was trying to figure out how to do this when I noticed OMSA is now reporting " no controller found" (both from GUI and CLI) This started three days ago, but the system is still running as usual and we are getting successful nightly, full-system backups to a NAS device from BackupEdge! Any guidance/ suggested steps to take would be GREATLY appreciated.
Below are hopefully relevent command results:
[root@titan ~]# omreport system            
Health

SEVERITY : COMPONENT

[root@titan ~]# omreport storage controller
No controllers found

[root@titan ~]# dmsetup ls
VG00-LV01       (253, 1)
VG00-LV00       (253, 0)
[root@titan ~]# lsblk
bash: lsblk: command not found
[root@titan ~]# dmsetup info
Name:              VG00-LV01
State:             ACTIVE
Read Ahead:        256
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        1
Event number:      0
Major, minor:      253, 1
Number of targets: 1
UUID: LVM-dyclxfPPhh02E0mo39zTMMHB84BdWBgOS3Xq7DQ5VXZs1EemP3fKWYYtrxgrWWi4

Name:              VG00-LV00
State:             ACTIVE
Read Ahead:        256
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        1
Event number:      0
Major, minor:      253, 0
Number of targets: 1
UUID: LVM-dyclxfPPhh02E0mo39zTMMHB84BdWBgOTjctK60VciBOBCuoCWGWZFN9bJ0Y8dEv

[root@titan ~]# df -kh
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VG00-LV00
                      446G   69G  360G  16% /
/dev/sda1              99M   23M   72M  25% /boot
[root@titan ~]# df -l
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VG00-LV00
                     467203208  71399224 376511500  16% /
/dev/sda1               101073     23536     73362  25% /boot
[root@titan ~]# df -kh
/dev/mapper/VG00-LV00
                      446G   69G  360G  16% /
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@titan ~]# df -kh
/dev/mapper/VG00-LV00
                      446G   69G  360G  16% /
[root@titan ~]# df -kh
/dev/mapper/VG00-LV00
                      446G   69G  360G  16% /

[ root@titan ~]# pvs -v
    Scanning for physical volume names
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree DevSize PV UUID                               
  /dev/sda2  VG00 lvm2 a--  465.12G    0  465.15G rNuIXk-NTJ9-yoJA-ofE1-42OF-kFdh-ccxnz7

[root@titan ~]# vgs -v
    Finding all volume groups
    Finding volume group "VG00"
  VG   Attr   Ext    #PV #LV #SN VSize   VFree VG UUID                               
  VG00 wz--n- 32.00M   1   2   0 465.12G    0  dyclxf-PPhh-02E0-mo39-zTMM-HB84-BdWBgO

• 

6.2K Posts

September 18th, 2017 10:00

Hello

I figured the best course of action would be to clone the system to an Optiplex 360 with Perc6I in order to learn w/o fear of disaster. I was trying to figure out how to do this when I noticed OMSA is now reporting "no controller found" (both from GUI and CLI)

On the Optiplex? OMSA does not work correctly on systems without a BMC. It is not supported on an Optiplex.

If it is reporting no controller on the server then restart the server.

Thanks

September 18th, 2017 12:00

Hi Daniel. Thanks for your response. This issue is on the main Dell server. We will have to restart after business hours as we are retail store and I don't want to risk a failed reboot. I would also like to clone the system before attempting a reboot. In your experience, what might be the best way to clone a raid 1 on sas6ir.

I would prefer being able to clone the mounted Drive as opposed to a boot disk like Clonezilla. Thanks again for your help.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 18th, 2017 14:00

We do not have cloning software, I don't have any recommendations. I don't think I have ever cloned anything, if I did I can't remember.

Cloning software can clone at various levels. If you choose to clone the virtual disk data then make sure the controller you move the disks is running the same firmware.

Thanks

September 18th, 2017 14:00

Daniel, To further explain my fears, OMSA reported the Virtual Disk "permanently degraded" which I figured was due to the SAS6iR driver version being out of date. Server was and is still operating normally. Several days after attempting anything on the server, I rechecked OMSA, which is when I noticed it reporting "no controller found" and basically, all the data fields were empty (chassis, software,storage). My fear is a corrupted array that won't reboot - and another pressing issue is that the cd/dvd-rw drive is no longer mounting, which makes it difficult to use live boot media (including our original BackupEdge recovery boot disk). AAARRRGGGHHH!

I guess thru writing this I now realize the most important issue to solve is the optical device...any thoughts?

• 

6.2K Posts

September 18th, 2017 16:00

Before making any hardware or software changes to a production system you should have a valid tested backup. If you don't have a means to restore that backup then you should probably not make any changes. You can use USB storage devices to boot instead of optical media, but if your backup is on optical you need a functional optical drive if something goes wrong.

The OMSA issue is likely a reporting issue. Getting the correct driver installed and restarting the system should resolve, but if the data is important you should take precautions for worst-case scenarios.

Thanks

No Events found!