Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2013 15:00

PowerEdge R420 iDRAC 7 Email Notification Setup

Hello all,

I have been trying to configure the email settings in iDRAC 7 Enterprise, but I am having no luck thus far.

I logged into the web interface and went to Overview -> Server -> Alerts.  On the Alerts page I clicked the SNMP and E-mail Settings tab at the top of the page.

Then I entered the E-Mail settings, clicked apply and tried sending an email, where I got the following error:

I check the mail server logs and it's not receiving any requests from this machine.  I checked the email account that I'm using for SMTP and it is able to send an email on my CentOS machine with SSMTP.

I have just recently began configuring this machine, so these are all the steps that I have done on this server so far.  Are there others in order to be able to send a test email?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 4th, 2013 20:00

Hi,

Can you check the below items

1: "DNS DRAC Name " and "Static DNS Domain Name " is configured on iDRAC Settings -> Network page

2: On Server->Alerts->Alerts page, can you check whether Alerts is in "Enabled" state?

From the screen shots you provided I also suspect following issues

1: Under "Destination E-Mail Address" section "E-Mail Alert 1" is not in Enabled State (Check box is not enabled)

2:  E-Mail Authentication is enabled. Did you have E-Mail server is also configured for Authentication support? If not can you check by disabling E-Mail Authentication

3: You mentioned FQDN for E-Mail Server. Did you mention appropriate DNS under IPv4 or IPv6 Section (if enabled) on network page and DNS can resolve "mail.example.com". You can also check this by specifying IP address here.

July 29th, 2014 16:00

Using iDrac 7 Enterprise with the latest FW (1.57.57), using G-mail for alerts worked fine. The critical issue is the authentication/encryption in the Alerts section. When using authentication (which of course EVERYONE does now), the method of encryption used is TLS. I read in the ‘enhancements-2-idrac7-alert-notification’ PDF that was released here that when using authentication, TLS encryption is used. I’m guessing the external SMTP servers many are trying do not support TLS. G-mail supports it, but currently, not many other mail providers do. I failed to get anything other than a G-mail account to work with the iDrac alerts due to this. Dell maintains that the iDrac only supports INTERNAL SMTP servers. I find that silly given the trend to push mail servers into the cloud and offsite. But who am I?

It didn’t matter what was entered in the DNS DRAC Name field or Static DNS Domain Name field. It didn’t care – several techs online assumed that the info in these fields needed to be the same DNS info as entered in the E-mail Alert / SMTP fields (i.e. making the DRAC DNS name the prefixt of the e-mail address used for authentication and the domain name the same domain as the SMTP server.) It’s irrelevant as the ‘FROM’ mailbox is determined by the SMTP authentication account. You can have whatever you want in the DNS fields, but you need to have SOMETHING in there.

If you use smtp.gmail.com for your SMTP server, a valid username (without the @gmail.com - not necessary), a valid password and port 587, this works.

Also, make sure you have the Alerts ENABLED, and your TO/destination address filled in with the 'STATE' box checked. That tells the iDrac to use that mailbox for alerts. You can perform a successful test from that area.

• 

6.2K Posts

January 4th, 2013 16:00

Hello orangegrover

Go to iDRAC Settings>Network>Common Settings. Enter a static DNS Domain Name in that box. Let me know if that does not resolve the issue.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

January 4th, 2013 17:00

There isn't much to the setup. I suspect that some criteria is not met, or the wrong information is being entered somewhere.

Are you using a local mail server for the email server? This does not work with a yahoo or google email account.

Also, did you configure your regular network settings for the DRAC? Is the DRAC on a subnet that is accessible by the mail server?

Try using the SMTP address rather than the FQDN.

Thanks

January 4th, 2013 17:00

No it is still giving me the same error when I try to send the test email.

I made the Statis DNS Domain Name to be example.com, which is the domian that I will be emailing (me@example.com).  I went back to the page and example.com is still there, so I know that the Static DNS name is taking effect.

The DNS DRAC Name is the default of "idrac-< >" if that makes a difference.

June 5th, 2013 01:00

[

SNMP Traps and EmailSettings

Ip Destination List

Detination Number        State    DestinationAddress
Alert Destination1        V    Local Smtp

Alert Destination2        V    The Physical machine Ip

Alert Destination3        V    

Destination Email          State  Destination Email Address

E-mail Alert11             V    my mail Id

SMTP (E-Mail) Server Address Settings

Attribute             Value     

Apply

Enable Authentication         V
Username              abc@gmail.com
Password         
SMTP (E-mail) Server IP Address or FQDN / DNS Name     
            173.194.67.109 ( smtp.gmail.com)

2 Posts

June 9th, 2013 22:00

I have the same problem,it looks a bug for idrac7.

I check the email server ,the idrac use the DNS_DRAC_NAME@DNS_NAME as the email account,default is DELL-tag@DNS_NAME,not the user setting.

1 Message

June 19th, 2013 08:00

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?  I am having the same issue.  Everything is set, but it won't send the message.  Just keeps getting the error message

June 19th, 2013 09:00

If I remember right, I had everything configured correctly, but I hadn't added a DNS server, so the mail server simply wasn't resolving.  Not sure if that's the same issue you are having or not.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2013 00:00

At last ,i set the dns name same as the account,and add this account on the mail server,it's work fine.

but ,other server i must  create another account to work.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 18:00

Can someone please shed some light on how to get this working with Office 365?

April 9th, 2015 11:00

Thank You TECHDISCIPLE!! I spent all morning trying to figure out what was wrong. I had no idea authentication uses TLS by default. That was the problem!

April 25th, 2015 16:00

Just noticed that alerts via G-mail as explained prior has stopped working on my servers. Interestingly, when I tried another G-mail account, it worked. I checked the original G-mail account settings and noticed G-mail has some sort of security check that flagged the account suspecting my iDrac 7 as being suspicious activity attempting to login to my account and blocked it. I attempted to adjust security settings to let less secure apps use the account and even tried to confirm the attempt was me. It still didn't work. Not sure how to work around yet.

G-mail was the only account I could get to work with the iDrac 7 alerting without using an internal SMTP relay. Dell is ridiculous... I get enterprise level clients would have internal mail servers. I also get the purpose of the internal vs. external alerting for troubleshooting purposes. But darn it, if I want to do things this way, I should be able to after spending all that $$ on the darn card!! Additionally, e-mail is moving to the cloud as a general trend, and having an internal relay really isn't necessary. UPDATE DELL, please!

If you have used a G-mail account successfully as explained above, check your servers and do a test again to see if you are still good to go.

April 25th, 2015 16:00

Glad to hear I saved you some hair, Grintor!!

April 26th, 2015 06:00

UPDATE: changing the g-mail security settings HERE resolved the issue. I simply had to give it time for the settings to propagate with g-mail.

No Events found!