Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CD

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2018 05:00

Query sysem profile BIOS settings from Windows 2016 Core

I'm using Windows Server 2016 Core on a PowerEdge R740XD and I'm trying to find a way to query the System Profile Settings from the BIOS. This used to be available through Openmanage system administration by running omreport.exe and filtering the results but installing OMSA on a core server omits some parts of the software and omreport.exe is one the omissions.
Is there another way for me to check the System Profile Settings from command line or powershell on a 2016 core server? I'm trying to write a system validation script and need to check those settings as part of it.
Thanks in advance.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2018 11:00

Hello

You can see if racadm will get the information you are wanting. The RACADM CLI guide is on the iDRAC support page.

http://www.dell.com/idracmanuals/

racadm get bios.sysprofilesettings

That might be what you are looking for.

Thanks

4 Posts

October 4th, 2018 07:00

Perhaps racadm is also not installed when running the OMSA installer on core servers?  The racadm command "is not recognized as an internal or external command".  I even manually ran the RACTools_x64.msi installer from the extracted C:\Openmanage folder in case that was necessary.  

• 

6.2K Posts

October 4th, 2018 10:00

I was unable to find any documentation that listed RACADM as unsupported on core installs. I tested to verify functionality. I had no issues using RACADM in Windows Server 2016 Core using a typical install of OMSA 9.1.

RACADM was not automatically registered as an environment variable, so I had to go into the directory where the command is located to use RACADM.

racadmcore.png

4 Posts

October 8th, 2018 09:00

On my system racadm is found in a different directory (rac5 instead of idrac as your screenshot shows) and I get this message when I try to run the command. 

c:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\rac5>racadm get bios.sysprofilesettings

IMPORTANT NOTE!
The RAC is unable to communicate with the BMC. This condition may
occur because of (1) no BMC is present, (2) missing or disfunctional
IPMI-related software components. Many RAC features depend on BMC
connectivity in order to work properly, and you may see failures
as a result.
ERROR: RACADM is unable to process the requested subcommand because there is no
local RAC configuration to communicate with.

Local RACADM subcommand execution requires the following:

1. A Remote Access Controller (RAC) must be present on the managed server
 2. Appropriate managed node software must be installed and running on the
    server

I'm installing the OpenManage software from the OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WINX64-9.1.0-2757_A00.exe downloaded from the support.dell.com.  It extracts to C:\OpenManage and then I run msiexec /i SysMgmtx64.msi  to install it.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 8th, 2018 10:00

It sounds like the iDRAC/BMC is not fully functional or you are not running this from the host OS. You cannot manage the iDRAC locally from a virtual machine, OMSA must be installed in the host OS to manage the local system.

4 Posts

October 8th, 2018 10:00

It's installed directly onto a physical PowerEdge R740xd server with Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Core.  It is a Storage Spaces Direct R740xd Ready Node.  Does that make a difference in the OMSA functionality?

• 

6.2K Posts

October 8th, 2018 11:00

The R740XD SD2 Ready Node just looks like a regular R740XD pre-configured with hardware validated for SD2. I don't see a reason why RACADM functionality would be different from a normal R740XD.

You can try booting from our Support Live Image, it has OMSA pre-installed. You can test RACADM from SLI to help determine if it is an issue with the hardware or software. If RACADM works from SLI then it is a software issue.

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/enterprise-tools/support-live-image

Thanks

No Events found!