Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2014 02:00

R720 Cannot install OS - Automated Task Application - shuts down

Hi,

I am setting up a brand new Dell PE R720 via iDrac7 (remotely). Over $8000 worth of server! I've tried several options at boot to install Server 2012 but the server always states: Entering Lifecycle Controller, even though I choose to boot from a virtual ISO.  After Initializing firmware Interfaces and applying updates it gives a white screen stating: Automated Task Application then the server shuts down.

Pressing F10 or F11 at boot does not do anything.

No matter what option I choose or what I set in the BIOS it always gives that white screen and then shuts down within a couple of seconds.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 14:00

Hello

The lifecycle controller is attempting to install or verify something. Go to the iDRAC web GUI and check the job status. If there are any jobs in the queue then cancel them. If there are no jobs then update the iDRAC and LifeCycle Controller through the "Update and Rollback" page in the DRAC embedded web server.

Thanks

March 23rd, 2014 15:00

SOLUTION FOUND!

On the iDrac under iDrac Settings - Update and Rollback
Click the Automatic Update Tab
DESELECT Enable Automatic Update.

By doing that I was able to actually see boot options during POST (Like press F2 / F10), etc.

I was able to boot with a mounted ISO.

Thanks Daniel, I will mark this as solved because you pointed me in the right direction!

March 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for responding! There are no jobs in the queue.

I've updated the iDrac to 1.56.55 and ran the LifeCycle Controller2 v1.4.0 Repair Package (a .usc file). The other LifeCycle files are for 32 and 64bit, so not sure what file I must download to update the LC Controller.

It is still doing exactly the same. It says:  Performing update on y. Then shuts down.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2014 21:00

HiHi,

I have same problem from my new R720. I has been disabled the "Enable Automatic Update".
When I press F2 / F10 / F11, I can see "Entering System Setup" or "Enter UEFI Boot Manager" :emotion-6:
But the system will 99% restart. just 1% can hit my action. I unable to install my O.S from java console.

Please help~ :emotion-9:

No Events found!