Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2022 12:00

R720 Stuck Entering Lifecycle Controller...

I have a R720 that if I try to F10 at boot it gets stuck looping with Entering Lifecycle Controller... screen and only loads about 25% even after leaving it for hours. I finally fail the LCC and get the system to put it into Recovery Mode, but I'm sort of at a loss as to how to fix this. I've tried doing the LifeCycle Controller Repair Package in iDRAC but I get an error; RAC0613: The uploaded file is invalid. Make sure to upload the required file in the correct format and retry the operation.

At boot the system reports BIOS is version 2.8.0 but in iDRAC it shows 1.6.0. Below are my LCC and iDRAC vresions.

LCC: 2.63.60.62

iDRAC: 2.63.60.62

I can say that I have Inventory Collection currently disabled because it only gets about 50% complete and never finishes.

TIA

• 

8.4K Posts

March 30th, 2022 05:00

Morbiddk,

Power down the server, remove the power cords, then hold down the power button for 20 seconds, this will drain the flea power from the server. After that you will open the cover and then locate the NVRAM-CLR jumper, located near where the power supplies connect to the motherboard (as seen below), then move the jumper over and then add power back to the server to perform the NVRam clear procedure. Afterwards power down, drain flea power,  and then restore the jumper to its original location. This time you will reinstall the power cables, but wait 2 minutes before powering the server. 

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

• 

3.6K Posts

March 29th, 2022 17:00

Thanks for choosing Dell.

Could you please refer to this?

https://dell.to/3IJz8ha

Recovery from ‘Lifecycle Controller update required’

6 Posts

March 29th, 2022 17:00

In BIOS I have Lifecycle Controller enabled but I had to disable Collect System Inventory as the controller never gets past 50% scanning the inventory on bootup. Also, tried to use the LifeCycle Controller2 v1.4.0 Repair Package and got get an error in iDRAC; RAC0613: The uploaded file is invalid. Make sure to upload the required file in the correct format and retry the operation.

Is there a way to run this repair outside of iDRAC or something else I could try?

Screenshot 2022-03-29 203329.png

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 29th, 2022 19:00

To update LC you can flash iDRAC only. iDRAC have LC image also. LC Repair package is not supported from latest iDRAC FW and we need to use iDRAC FW instead. You can try latest FW from below link.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=0ghf4&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r720 

Did you have any extra cards installed on the server? If yes can you remove those and check the behaviour?

6 Posts

March 30th, 2022 05:00

I have no extra cards in the machine and after the upgrade I have the same results with the LCC.

6 Posts

March 30th, 2022 11:00

That looks to have done it Chris, thank you so much!

June 13th, 2022 22:00

Dell-Chris H,

I have followed your steps as described to the T but am still stuck in the loop of "Entering Lifecycle Controller" upon boot.  I have a r720xd BIOS 2.9.0.  I dont have the other details as I have been out with covid and cant remember.  I have searched the internet for other options but about to kick this to the curb.

If this isnt working for me, can I do a default to initial installation or otherwise start from scratch?  thank you for any help.

signed, burnt-out

• 

3.6K Posts

June 14th, 2022 00:00

Hi what Chris wrote up there is spot on and should work. I am suspecting you may have some issue with the motherboard and possibly may need a replacement.

June 14th, 2022 16:00

To follow up on my issue...I had to pull out my LSI SAS controller, start up (let it reboot itself) then shut down.  I then plugged the controller back in (let it reboot itself) and it started up fine.

November 29th, 2022 14:00

Any suggestions for multiple R640 gen 10 and 9 getting stuck in lifecycle controller? 

• 

3.6K Posts

November 29th, 2022 19:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell.
It'd be helpful to have a look at the system event log or event messages or how the components are looking in the iDRAC.
(gen9, 10 doesn't sound like the way we identify a Dell PowerEdge server generation if that helps. https://dell.to/3OLDFUM)

February 27th, 2023 06:00

Signed in to + this solution. 

Worked on a PowerEdge R750xs

10 Posts

April 17th, 2023 02:00

Dear Chris, 

I have PowerEdge r730 and I have a lot of problem with idrac8 cannot update bios or LLC because when I click update its hangs on lifecycle controller: system configuration requested 

I did use the ssh commands the problem come again and again 

• 

3.4K Posts

April 17th, 2023 03:00

May 15th, 2023 01:00

How to fix stuck entering lifecycle controller dell server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgXWpYtg_w&ab_channel=MatTec

(edited)

No Events found!