Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

6 Posts

May 16th, 2019 07:00

RHEL 8 support

I was hoping for a version of OMSA that would install on RHEL8. I have 8 boxes ready to roll out to production, but I cannot because the current OMSA won't install. "Unsupported OS." I would have thought that Dell would have had a prerelease version to work with prior to RHEL8 coming out. I thought wrong, I guess. 

2.9K Posts

May 16th, 2019 11:00

I'll poke around with it and edit my reply. Worst case scenario, we're in the same boat.

6 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I will give that a try.

I'm just surprised that Dell didn't have a version ready to go. Even I have spent the last 3 months with the beta, making sure my RHEL8 config would work when the actual release came out. Oh well. 

Thanks again. RHEL8 looks like a good release.

2.9K Posts

Hello,

I spoke with several of our Systems Management support representatives, and they haven't heard of a release specific to RHEL 8 at this point in time. I would expect OMSA 9.4 to support it, but that is speculation on my part. 

What you might consider trying is modifying /etc/redhat-release to reflect a supported Redhat operating system, since that is where the installer looks for whether or not the OS is supported. Something like "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.3 (Maipo)" may do the job. I've used this trick to facilitate installations on some versions of CentOS, so it may work here. I haven't tested this though, so I can't promise it will do the job. Once OMSA is installed, you could change it back. Alternatively, you could make a backup of that file and rename it to something like redhat-release-backup, and then just modify the copy. You could delete the copy and change the original back after.

The other option would be to use OpenManage Enterprise, which is a virtual appliance and would provide you out-of-band management tools.

EDIT: Adding some commands to help people try this, until a native solution is available

# cp /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release-backup
# echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.3 (Maipo)" > /etc/redhat-release

Then try to run the installer. Once it completes, for better or worse, we'll want to revert things back to how they were prior to the change.

# rm -f /etc/redhat-release
# mv /etc/redhat-release-backup /etc/redhat-release

6 Posts

Well, I tried. The install started at least, but failed with some missing dependencies. Mostly having to do with Python and a few libs. RHEL8 comes with Python3 and Python2. Your choice on what to install. I could point "Python" to point to Python3, put I don't want to get that far into the weeds, and that probably would fail somewhere anyway.

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/05/07/what-no-python-in-red-hat-enterprise-linux-8/

Guess I'll wait. : :Yes:

2.9K Posts

May 16th, 2019 13:00

It looks like there are some conflicts that I'm hesitant to address. For example, openssl-libs-1:1.0.2k-16.el7.x86_64 and openssl-libs-1:1.1.1-8.el8.x86_64 can't both be installed. I would think that down grading is an option, but that also defeats the purpose of running the newer release. If we try running anyway and including the --allowerasing option, it would remove the protected dnf package.

I entertained the thought of running OpenManage within a Docker container and tried installing it just to see, but it looks like Docker doesn't support RHEL 8, either. I certainly can't claim to be an expert with Docker, though.

I looked into it a bit further, and it does look like OMSA support for RHEL 8 is planned, I just don't know when it would be available.

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

May 17th, 2019 01:00

Hello, RHEL8 support is with September release of OpenManage Server Administrator(OMSA)

#Iwork4Dell

6 Posts

May 17th, 2019 04:00

Thanks for the info. I rely on OMSA for email alerts when there are issues with the boxes. Most importantly, attached PERC\MD1000 storage. I cannot put into production without this. Too risky.

7 Posts

September 17th, 2019 18:00

Great! Where do I download it?

6 Posts

September 18th, 2019 06:00

Nothing yet that I know of. I don't see any RHEL8 listed in any of my boxes' OS drop down list in Support. Getting impatient here. Don't the Dell developers get an early release of the OS so they can develop for it, with their release date close to the OS release date? That's how it works here.

4 months later .......

20 Posts

September 25th, 2019 09:00

Hello,

Please use Open Manage 9.3.1 relese for RHEL8.0 support

Here is the Open Manage 9.3.1 release notes with OS support stating the support for RHEL8

openmanage-server-administrator-v9.3.1/om_9.3.1_release_notes

Thanks,

Karthik Venkatesh

#IWork4Dell

9 Posts

September 25th, 2019 11:00

Hello,

Fine 9.3.1 but nothing to syncrhonize in : http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/dsu/os_dependent/

URGENT

21 Posts

November 11th, 2019 05:00

Any ETA on repository version for RHEL 8 and similar? There are empty folders there currently

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

November 26th, 2019 05:00

Hello SR712,

Hopefully, you have got the OMSA installer for RHEL8. In case if you are looking for this

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=75wmx

Thanks

Vivek

#iwork4dell

No Events found!