Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

13 Posts

August 14th, 2020 18:00

S2D cluster with Windows Admin Center and EMC Openmanage to setup Azure Monitor

I just setup a 3 node S2D cluster and installed WAC on a management machine. Also installed the Openmanage extension which works great - I can see physical health of all nodes in the cluster within the console.

Now, I'd like to use Azure Monitor within WAC to alert me of any hardware failures on the nodes like disk failure or power supply, etc.

While there is an overwhelming number of alert "signals" I can setup within Azure monitor, I simply want to setup an alert for any critical hardware events on any of the 3 nodes.

Is this type of integration with Azure Monitor possible?

• 

790 Posts

August 17th, 2020 02:00

Hi maxpower320,

so, you ended up on the Dell Support Forum, welcome aboard

Azure Monitor is a Microsoft tool to manage your Azure environment if I'm not mistaken. I don't know anything about this software but you are here on the Dell community, so I guess your nodes are Dell PowerEdge systems. If this is correct I can give you some advice on how to set up your Dell system to inform you in an event of failure.

Generally speaking (as I do not know what kind of systems you use) - Our PowerEdge server utilize the so-called iDRAC - it's the integrated Dell Remote Access Controller.

iDRAC is able to inform you in the case of a failure. You just need to set it up.

Please take a closer look at this article here:

Dell iDRAC - Configuring Email notifications for System Alerts on iDRAC7/8 and iDRAC9 (https://dell.to/2CxdvED)

Maybe this is something you can leverage?

Regarding the Microsoft Azure Monitor, I'd like to ask you to contact Microsoft for further help.

Best regards,
Stefan

24 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 21:00

Hello,

For alerting in Windows Admin Center,

Register your WAC with Azure and Onboard your cluster for Azure Monitors (under Tools pane of connected cluster).

WAC provides a pre-defined set of alerts for servers and clusters, further you can add\configure new alerts from Azure Portal and use them here.

Here is a link to Microsoft documentation if you have not checked out yet, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/azure/azure-monitor.

Dell-Shiv

13 Posts

August 24th, 2020 16:00

Thanks for both of your responses. I'm very familiar with Dell's own monitoring tools like iDRAC. It's what I've used before on servers not part of an HCI cluster.

I'm going to play with the email alerts a little more for Azure monitor to see if it can alert me of hardware failures, like disk failure. My hope is to consolidate all monitoring (for software and hardware) to one pane of glass.

No Events found!