Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2008 12:00

SUU inclusion of HD Firmware info

I've been bitten twice in the last 3 months by SAS firmware issues. Both times I had spurious drive failures caused by bad firmware. Are there any plans to involve HD firmware checks in SUU? I realize you may not be able to update using the utility, but it would be nice if SUU at least notified me of firmware that was out of date. I've been relying on it to validate my basic firmware/driver versions.

It's a very handy utility BTW.

36 Posts

February 20th, 2008 12:00

. . . plans to HD firmware checks . . .

17 Posts

February 20th, 2008 14:00

OpenManage does support firmware updates for PERC attached SAS drives. Have you tried the new Systems Build and Update tool http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smsbu/ ? Significant added functionality over SUU. Assuming you have Server Administrator installed on your systems, you could also use IT Assistant to generate reports and perform updates on HD firmware. The specific drives supported are listed in the Version Control Catalog readme at ftp://ftp.dell.com/cmsdk/PDK_readme.doc.

36 Posts

February 20th, 2008 15:00

I didn't really see SBU as a replacement for SUU. Is SUU going to be phased out? Just based on ISO size, I thought that SUU included a broader set of updates.

36 Posts

February 20th, 2008 15:00

To give you an idea of my current setup, I've been downloading the SUU tool as new versions are released, dropping them on a network share and running it periodically from each server.

1 Message

February 20th, 2008 19:00

Hard drive firmware simply cannot be installed through an automatic process such as an SUU or BUU because the disk I/O must be stopped so the controller can be updated.

The only way that is Dell-validated and Dell-supported is to use an ISO file and then boot to that image. The easiest and most convenient way is to download the Dell SAS/SATA Hard Drive Utility which will allow the server to boot into a Linux environment to update the drives. This initiates a silent install through which you can update ALL of the SAS/SATA attached drives, including MD1000 and MD3000 enclosures.

FYI - There is also a Dell SCSI Hard Drive Update CD for all of those SCSI and SCSI-attached JBODs such as PV220s.

36 Posts

February 21st, 2008 10:00

Do I have to boot to the SBU CD to run it? With SUU, I don't have to bring the server down when I'm just validating levels. I can't figure out how to initiate the SBU app from within Windows.
No Events found!