Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

1 Message

June 24th, 2019 08:00

Selecting a server

Perhaps this forum is too technical for this question but I need help selecting a home office server. I run a travel business and need to offload HD pictures and HD footage from my laptop. Currently laptop is my workstation. Applications will stay native on laptop (or in the cloud MS365, Adobe DC, etc.) Needs to be very secure with ability to  encrypt and VPN so I can store client info on it (fear of laptop theft.)

What type of server should I be looking at? Costs is a consideration. Currently one man shop but expansion is in the plans. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2.9K Posts

June 24th, 2019 11:00

It sounds like your needs are going to be 1. file server and 2. VPN ability. First thing you'll want to do is get an idea on how much data you'll need to be storing. Once you know the volume of data, that should help you get a handle on how many drives you'd need. Then, you can figure what level of redundancy you want to use to protect said data. A small volume of data may be fine on a RAID 1, a larger sum on a RAID 5, and a larger yet on RAID 6, or potentially RAID 10. I think a 1, 5, or 6 would probably be ideal for those needs, since it doesn't sound like the higher performance of a 10 would be needed, and it's resource hungry.

As far as VPN goes, you should be able to get any number of VPN software loaded into whatever OS you wish. If it's a Linux box, you could consider OpenVPN.

If I were to make a recommendation though, a T440/R440 may be right up your alley, depending on the number of drives you need.

No Events found!