Systems Management General

Last reply by 01-23-2013 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Spin down HDs at PowerEdge LSI Raid

As a server, I've got a Power Edge 840 with a LSI SAS Raid Controller on a SAS backplane with 3 Seagate Cheetah 15K.5. There's debian running on a Raid 5.  The HDs don't spin down and even with megacli, I wasn't able to convince them to do so. Idling the server consumes 110W@1,6ghz, which is high. Any ideas?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
3 Argentum

Hi Stefan,

The officially supported LSI-based controllers with the PE840 were the SAS 5iR and PERC 5/i. Neither of these supported spin-down, which was not available until the H700/H800 in 2009. If you have a different LSI-based controller (not necessarily a Dell-branded one) let me know which model and I might be able to assist finding documentation for the procedure to configure individual physical disk spin-down.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (2)
3 Argentum

Hi Stefan,

The officially supported LSI-based controllers with the PE840 were the SAS 5iR and PERC 5/i. Neither of these supported spin-down, which was not available until the H700/H800 in 2009. If you have a different LSI-based controller (not necessarily a Dell-branded one) let me know which model and I might be able to assist finding documentation for the procedure to configure individual physical disk spin-down.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

Community Accepted Solution
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks you, it's sadly a  PERC 5/i :(

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions