Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2016 02:00

Status "Unknown" of Storage Controller on one of our PowerEdge R730 servers

Hello

I'm having a problem with one of our servers. I tried to add all our servers to PRTG to be able to monitor the health status and the HDDs. On two of our three servers, it works absolutely perfect, on our third server, all the disks are red because the "Component Status" is "Unknown".

I then checked the iDRAC interface of that server and noticed, that under the "Storage->Physical Disks->Health and Properties" the status field shows a question mark for each hard drive. Under "Storage->Controllers" the status fields for "Health and Properties" and "Controller Battery" it also shows a question mark. 

On our others servers, all the statuses are all green. Firmware and driver version are exact the same on all three servers. I have no idea if that's a hardware issue or if it's just a setting error.

Any ideas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 30th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

What version of OpenManage Server Administrator, OMSA are you using on the one server? Are you able to view the status of controller and Physical Disks in the controller BIOS, using Ctrl +R? What about the BIOS, H730P and iDRAC firmware version?

5 Posts

August 30th, 2016 23:00

Never used OMSA until now. I just installed version 8.3 and there, the disk drives and the controller statuses are all green, so that's good. iDRAC and PRTG still show me question marks.

I don't know about the controller BIOS, I have to check that when I can reboot the server.

The BIOS version is: 1.5.4
H730P Firmware: 25.3.0.0016
iDRAC Firmware: 2.21.21.21

5 Posts

August 31st, 2016 01:00

Ok,

I updated all the firmwares, the bios and the raid controller driver and now it works perfectly. Strange thing is, I have the same versions of firmwares, bios and drivers on the other servers and there everything works just fine.

Thanks for your help 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2016 08:00

Great news! Nice to know that you figured out the direction I was headed.

Keep us posted on other issues.

No Events found!