Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2018 22:00

T410 w/ESXi 5.1 and OMSA - How to update firmware and BIOS remotely

Hi:

I have a T410 running ESXi 5.1 and OMSA (installed the VIB) (using Windows 2008 R2 vm to access OMSA). 

In OMSA, when I go to the Remote Access page, I see two notes suggesting 1. Upgrade to iDRAC Express for increased embedded Systems Management features to configure ...; 2. Upgrade to iDRAC6 Enterprise for more remote access features such as scripting, remote console and ...

And that Remote Access page in OMSA only shows the BMC as a remote access device.  I can configure the NIC with a static ip but then https:// times out and I cannot even ping the ip (does re-cfg. the static ip require a restart?; OMSA didn't tell me I need to restart).

I thought all T410s have at lease the minimum iDRAC w/Lifecycle Controller support but am I correct based on the info. above to conclude this server does not have an iDRAC?  When I check Sys. Cfg. using Service Tag on Dell Support site it does not list an iDRAC in the orig. cfg.

I'm trying to update the PERC6i firmware, BMC firmware and BIOS remotely.  Any suggestions?  This site is not licensed for OM Essentials so I don't think I can use it.

Thanks,
Bob H.

• 

8.5K Posts

February 14th, 2018 09:00

That’s right. You can use the suu without the iDRAC.

• 

8.5K Posts

February 7th, 2018 08:00

Hi,

The R610 and higher have built in iDRAC. The T410 starts with BMC only.

31 Posts

February 7th, 2018 09:00

Hi Josh:

Thanks for confirming the iDRAC issue.

Any ideas for best method to run the updates?  Am I correct that OM Essentials must be licensed, or can I use it unlicensed just for one server, and if so do you know if it will work running in Windows vm on top of ESXi hypervisor?  OMSA is installed on ESXi and is working within the Windows vm.

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

February 7th, 2018 12:00

Openmanage essentials requires a license for any features aside from monitoring. You can run it in a VM. The other option is to buy the iDRAC 6 hardware and you can upgrade the T410 to an iDRAC.

31 Posts

February 14th, 2018 08:00

Hi Josh:

If I buy the OME lic. so I can update firmware from a vm, will it still work without the iDRAC 6 h/w, i.e. without the Lifecycle Controller?  Do you approx. how much OME lic. cost just for 1 Windows vm/one ESXi host, or what part no. I should check?

I guess another option is to use the Dell SUU Linux ISO but I'd need to do it at console, i.e. apparently the Dell SUU Windows ISO cannot update firmware from vm, ya?

Thank you!
Bob

31 Posts

So I guess the best option I have w/o having buy licenses or h/w is the Dell SUU Linux ISO, ya, and I will need to be onsite?  The Dell SUU will work without iDRAC/Lifecycle Controller, correct?

• 

8.5K Posts

The windows iso will not pass through to the hardware in a VM. You need the iDRAC to use OME.

No Events found!