Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

9 Posts

April 30th, 2019 00:00

T420 adding HDD

The PowerEdge T420 have 2 x  Hot Swap 3.5" pre installed, I want to add another HDD since storage is running but the rest bay for hdd is not hot swap can I plug it directly to the motherboard and extend drive C: partition.

• 

8.4K Posts

April 30th, 2019 05:00

Nemuszxc,

The T420 will come in 1 of the 3 configurations;

4 x 3.5 inch drive option: ◦Cabled drive bays
8 x 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch drive option: ◦Hot-swap drive bays
16 x 2.5 inch drive option: ◦Hot-swap drive bays

as well there are 2 options in the backplane as well

x8 SAS/SATA backplane for 3.5 inch hard drives
x16 SAS/SATA backplane for 2.5 inch hard drives

Since you are using 3.5 inch drives, it is only the x8.

So the other bays should be available, what are you seeing that is telling you otherwise? There may be blanks installed in the other slots, but they should be able to be removed.

Let me know what you are seeing.

9 Posts

May 1st, 2019 01:00

Yes, it's 8 x 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch drive option but only 2 are Hot-swap drive bays the rest are just blanks, and I'm planning to add NAS HDD and connect it directly to motherboard SATA; is it possible or do I need to make it a hot-swap drive

• 

8.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 07:00

You should be able to remove the blank and insert the hard drive in the drive carrier and install it. Would you have a picture of what you are seeing?

13 Posts

August 7th, 2021 08:00

Hi all, I came across this thread as I need to add a hard drive to my T420. It has already 5 hard drives in front and still 3 places empty. I am not sure what to type in dell.com or or dell.fr in order to get the reference to "Hard-Drive Adapter" that should host the hard drive then inserted Into the Hard-Drive Carrier. Here is an image of my server. ThanksT420-Front.jpg

• 

3.6K Posts

August 8th, 2021 21:00

Hi, thanks for choosing Dell : I’m afraid

NAS HDD and connect it directly to motherboard SATA" -> This is not possible.

13 Posts

August 9th, 2021 00:00

Young, not sure I understand well your response, do you mean I can't add any hard disk or do you mean I need to use a normal SATA port on the motherboard?

13 Posts

August 9th, 2021 01:00

I have T420 with 5 hard drives since the purchase,  I need to add a 6th hard drive and understood that I need a hard drive caddy, as you can notice the snapshot from your manual. SiIf I am not mistaken, I can add more 3 hard drives if you notice the snapshot I provided for my Front T420. Also I understand I don't need any cable, is this correct?

T420-Caddy.jpg

• 

278 Posts

August 9th, 2021 01:00

Hi, Eliassal,

Could I please clarify some details? Do you need a Disk Cable Connector Adapter to install disks in drive bays?

Thank you

Maria Januszka

#IWork4Dell

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

13 Posts

August 9th, 2021 03:00

I think that the 2nd part is a hard dribve not Hard Drive Carrier?

13 Posts

So many thanks, they are Dell skus? I beleive I should chose one of them, correct?

• 

278 Posts

Hi,

Regarding snapshot you've sent previously, you can additionally install 3 drives and you don't need cables.

I found for you Part Numbers of Hard Drive Carrier, which can be useful in case you need to buy them.

As server has 8 drive bays, according our documentation it should be 3.5 inch hot-plug drives.

Part numbers are follow:

Part #:KG1CH HD,SAS,3.5

Part #:X968D HD,SATA,3.5

Part #:F238F  HD,SAS-SATAU,3.5

I hope it will help. Please ask me if you have any questions.

Thank you

Maria Januszka

#IWork4Dell

• 

278 Posts

August 9th, 2021 05:00

Hi,

Yes, there are DELL parts. The second one Part #:X968D HD,SATA,3.5 is Hard Drive Carrier too.

You can choose one of them, it depends on drive you use  SAS or SATA.

Thank you

Maria Januszka

#IWork4Dell

13 Posts

August 9th, 2021 05:00

I have SATA drives

13 Posts

August 9th, 2021 07:00

I forgot to write down the link that was given to me

Pièces et mises à niveau pour votre produit Dell | Dell France

13 Posts

August 9th, 2021 07:00

Maria, I spent more than 2 hours over phone with dell France, sales service, basic service .......I was transfered from one service to another, no one was capable to help me placing an order for the adaptors. One from the "Basic service" pointed me to a link which was in fact a link to hard drives with adaptor, when I asked him I only need the adpator, he told me "Call sales service in order to place such an order", sales service is the one that transfered me to him !!!!!!! It is very strange. They are not able to find the references you gave and not able to find the right french reference so I can do the purchase on the internet

No Events found!