Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2019 08:00

Trying to update T410 firmware

I've acquired a T410 server and am seeking to update all firmware and BIOS on it to the latest but am having a nightmare of unsuccessful attempts as each method I try to follow doesn't work out. These are the things I've tried:

• Update from Unified Server Configurator (USC) using dell FTP server catalog 
    Spoiler
    Failed due to known deprecation - as per this KB article
    Failed due to known deprecation - as per this KB article
  • Using Dell Repository Manager (DRM) to create an update catalog file and loading this into USC to then download the updates
    Spoiler
    Failed as USC still won't see the updates
    Failed as USC still won't see the updates
  • Using DRM to pre-download each required DUP plus a catalog file, mounting locally and updating in USC
    Spoiler
    Failed - USC for some reason is unable to detect the catalog file in this method
    Failed - USC for some reason is unable to detect the catalog file in this method
  • Using DRM to create a SUU ISO to be loaded locally in USC
    Spoiler
    Failed as DRM won't allow the ISO to be created as some (or all) of the updates are 'not valid for this deployment method' for some reason
    Failed as DRM won't allow the ISO to be created as some (or all) of the updates are 'not valid for this deployment method' for some reason
  • Using DRM to create a bootable ISO with the necessary updates
    Spoiler
    DRM fails to create the bootable ISO for no obvious reason - the job hangs for a minute and then fails with no log generated
    DRM fails to create the bootable ISO for no obvious reason - the job hangs for a minute and then fails with no log generated
  • Mounting update ISOs to the onboard vFlash via iDRAC console
    Spoiler
    Failed as I cannot successfully connect to the iDRAC console - launching the console downloads a java .jnlp file, and after figuring out how to bypass the security protection to get the applet to run, I get a generic 'connection failed' error
    Failed as I cannot successfully connect to the iDRAC console - launching the console downloads a java .jnlp file, and after figuring out how to bypass the security protection to get the applet to run, I get a generic 'connection failed' error
  • Using the bootable ISO updaters located in the Dell box account (found here)
    Spoiler
    Failed after booting into the ISO - with a huge number of 'unable to mount' errors.
    Failed after booting into the ISO - with a huge number of 'unable to mount' errors.

This has been incredibly frustrating - I'm considering giving up hope and throwing out the server after all. I need to do the firmware updates to be able to use the server. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions / options for how to do the updates? Happy to provide more information on any of the methods I've tried so far. 

Thanks

Liam

• 

6.2K Posts

April 10th, 2019 11:00

Hello

I suggest that you start by updating the iDRAC and LCC through the iDRAC web server. If you open the iDRAC web page there is a section labeled Update and Rollback, or something similar. You can update the iDRAC and LCC on that page by uploading the files from your computer to the iDRAC through the browser. It will only accept specific image files.

On the server support page you should be able to locate the iDRAC firmware under the Embedded Server Management category and the LCC under LifeCycle Controller Legacy. You will need to extract out the image files, I think they are .d7 and .usc file types. Those are the only file types that will be accepted.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Once the iDRAC and LCC are at the most current revision I would try the repository again. The KB article linked near the top of your post should have instructions for creating a repository.

Thanks

No Events found!