Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2014 11:00

Unable to configure DNS servers using config file

I'm trying to configure DRACs/CMCs using config files and most of the settings are applying correctly but the DNS Servers and DNS name are not being applied when I do a 'racadm config -f configfile.txt'

Here is the relevant [cfgLanNetworking] section from the config file:

[cfgLanNetworking]

cfgNicEnable=1
cfgNicVLanEnable=0
cfgNicIPv4Enable=1
cfgNicUseDhcp=0
cfgDNSDomainNameFromDHCP=0
cfgDNSRacName=MYSERVRRACNAME
cfgDNSRegisterRac=1
cfgDNSServersFromDHCP=0
cfgNicIpAddress=192.168.0.111
cfgNicNetmask=255.255.255.0
cfgNicGateway=192.168.0.1
cfgDNSServer1=192.168.1.1
cfgDNSServer2=192.168.2.2
cfgDNSDomainName=mydomain.com

If I run the configuration again (without issuing a 'racadm racresetcfg' first) the settings do get applied properly.

The server i'm using for testing is a m610 however I will be needing to use the same method on several other 11g and 12g (possibly 13g soon) server models as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this something unique to 11g servers or the m610 specifically (or do other models have other similar quirks?)  Or should I just push multiple configuration files to address this kind of issue?

Thanks in advance

14 Posts

October 6th, 2014 14:00

I am issuing a 'racadm racresetcfg' and then waiting several minutes before pushing the configuration file.

The CMC is at 4.50, DRAC is at 3.60

• 

8.4K Posts

October 6th, 2014 14:00

Jim Dawson,

There is a couple things i wanted to clarify with you. With this being a test server, are you inserting the blade into the enclosure right before trying this? If so what was the delay between when you inserted the blade and you powered up to the configuration file? The reason I ask as this sounds like the iDrac is not completely started up when the configuration is pushed. If this is the case then if you leave the Blade in the server for a couple minutes prior to powering it on the iDrac should complete it's start up.

Also, with the "racadm racresetcfg" issue, the Drac may take up to 2 minutes after the racresetcfg command before the iDrac will be ready to take the configuration file. 

Lastly I would also verify that the CMC, as well as the Blade are up to date and current as well.

Let me know how it goes.

14 Posts

October 10th, 2014 12:00

No errors at all, and as far as I can tell everything else is set correctly.

183 Posts

October 10th, 2014 12:00

Are you getting any errors from racadm config or is it just not setting?

183 Posts

October 10th, 2014 13:00

Can you try direct without an INI file and see what you get?

racadm config -g cfglannetworking -o cfgDNSserver2 192.168.2.2

14 Posts

October 13th, 2014 06:00

Yes, this does work. After the initial push of the configuration file I can get the missing settings by either entering them in individually or by pushing the configuration file again.

183 Posts

October 13th, 2014 07:00

I am at a loss for this one. Except in real early 12th gen components, the idrac should return a non 0 exit code and an error message if something isn't set.

Maybe the idrac isn't fully back up after the racresetcfg before the import?

This is what I do:

1. racadm racreset (or racresetcfg)
  2. sleep 2 mins
  3. loop until "racadm getsysinfo" returns a 0 exit code,sleeping 10 seconds if 0 is not returned. Have a max loop counter here as the idrac isn't reliable to come back up all the time.
  4. import config

14 Posts

October 15th, 2014 14:00

Still didn't work.

I even tried manually enabling the NIC and setting the DRAC IP/Submask/Gateway before applying the configuration. Still didn't work unless I push the configuration a 2nd time once the DRAC becomes responsive again.

14 Posts

November 4th, 2014 09:00

I have repeated the test on another 11G and 12G server. The 12G server worked OK, the 2nd 11G server exhibited the same behavior, except in some cases importing the configuration file multiple times did not correct the missing items.

No Events found!