Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 7th, 2005 21:00

Unclassified Systems in other domains

Hi all,
I have configured a server with Server Administrator and SNMP with the correct community name and a trap destinantion of my ITA server. It is in a different domain with to the ITA server and no trust exists. I am able to discover the system and I get traps from it showing up in my Alerts, but I am not able to see a system summary, and the machine shows as unclassified.

The IT Assistant server itself is configured in the same way and shows uo just fine. What can I do to get cross-domain, cross-wan connectivity working correctly.

Thanks

John

March 8th, 2005 16:00

is it a domain controller? - if its not just create a local account with the same name and password as the account you use for the cim settings - dont forget to make it a admin and with log on service rights - i had the same problem, but the only difference was mine was not in any domain.

99 Posts

March 13th, 2005 09:00

I am assuming the systems being discovered are running windows 2003, in which case to accept SNMP requests from the IT Assistant management station, you need to click Accept SNMP packets from any host and enter the IP address of hostname of the IT assistant management station.

HOW TO: Configure the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Service in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324263

If you are running a different operating system let me know.

9 Posts

March 13th, 2005 13:00

Hi Sean,
I read throrough the MS Doc and I'm happy that my machines are configured correctly. I do not now believe that domain level authentication is involved in my problems. I am able to fully discover some machines in my infrastructure, I only appear to have problems if they are running ISA server, but even if I disable ISA I still have problems.

This is not an ITA problem, but a raw SNMP one. I am unable to get a successful SNMP Ping from my machines. I think I'll have to get a sniffer out and see if I can't do some lower-level diagnostics. Very irritating.

If you have any suggestions on troubleshooting SNMP I'd be very grateful to hear them, I've never had these problems before and am not well equiped to troubleshoot them at the moment.

Thanks

John

No Events found!