Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 6th, 2015 09:00

Updating BIOS on an R720

I have an R720 that's running BIOS v1.2.6 and I tried to update it to 2.4.3 using a Linux bootable ISO. The update didn't take.

Where can I find the logs that will tell me why it didn't work? Is 1.2.6 too old to update directly to 2.4.3? If so, what version do I need to step it up to first?

Thanks.

• 

8.5K Posts

April 6th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

Did it give an error when it failed? The BIOS update only applies if a soft reboot happens after the attempted update, so if it was shut down or a hard reboot in the drac it wouldn’t update. You may want to try to boot to the lifecycle controller and running platform updates and see if that will update it.

336 Posts

April 6th, 2015 13:00

Thanks, but I have no idea whether there was an error, hence me asking where the log from the update might be found.

Does anyone know if there's an issue going from BIOS 1.2.6 to 2.4.3?

• 

8.5K Posts

April 6th, 2015 14:00

It may have displayed an error on screen during the update process. Since the ISO file is read only it won’t store detailed logs with this method of updating. You can check the idrac logs, but it will just show update failed. There should not be any issues jumping between the versions, but you can try stepping up to see if that works.

No Events found!