Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 1st, 2016 07:00

Upgrade BIOS & Firmware on Power edge R420 from command line

All,

We have to upgrade BIOS & Firmware on Power edge R420 server. We do not have access to idrac nor cdrom. I want to upgrade them via command line from Redhat 6 OS. Is this possible?

If possible, let me know the steps and links to download and how to perform rollback in case of any failure.

This is pretty urgent guys. Please help and Thanks in advance.

• 

8.5K Posts

June 1st, 2016 11:00

Hi,

You can update the firmware and BIOS from the CLI. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/poweredge-r420/drivers?os=rh60

Dell Update Package Instructions for Linux DUP:
Download
1. Click the "Download Now" link to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click "Save" to save the file to your hard drive.
Installation
1. Read over the release information presented by executing the "./[model]_BIOS_LX_[revision].BIN --version" command from the shell.
2. Download and install any prerequisites identified in the above step before proceeding.
3. Install any necessary Embedded Systems Management firmware prior to this BIOS update.
4. Run the update by executing "./[model]_BIOS_LX_[version].BIN" from the shell.
5. Follow the remaining prompts to perform the update.

10 Posts

June 1st, 2016 22:00

Thanks Josh,

Is there any order in upgrading idrac, bios, LCC and  firmware?

• 

8.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 09:00

Usually it is iDRAC, firmware and then BIOS, but there is not an order that they are required to go in. 

10 Posts

June 6th, 2016 13:00

Dear Josh,

I have tried to update firmware through command line, however it failed. All I could see in log is "update failed. Is there any reason why I am unable  to  execute firmware from OS command line?

• 

8.5K Posts

June 6th, 2016 13:00

Were there any errors in the update logs? Which firmware update were you doing? 

No Events found!