Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2009 21:00

VMware hosts appearing as "Servers" and not "WMware ESX Servers"

Hello!

I have several VMware ESX hosts (all PE 2950's) scattered around our region and I'm using IT Assistant 8.3 to monitor them. Some of the hosts are being categorised correctly as "VMware ESX Servers" but some are just appearing as "Servers" and I have no idea what's different between them.

All the ESX hosts have OMSA 5.5 installed and they are all running ESX 3.5 update 3. I have configured SNMP correctly on the hosts and have no issues with this piece of the puzzle.

Then I have the problem where some of the "virtual" servers (with the brown suitcase?? icon) appearing correctly under their respective ESX host but some are coming up in the "Servers" list.

Anyone have any clues as to why these systems are not going in to the correct buckets?

January 8th, 2009 09:00

(Not sure if this will help, but worth a shot). Can you try removing that server and doing an discovery and inventory of the server again?

2 Posts

January 8th, 2009 20:00

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion but it returned to it's old bucket (Servers) instead of VMware ESX Servers.

I wish I knew what information ITA uses to allocate the bucket to a system. I could then compare it to the ESX servers that are correctly categorised.

Anyone any ideas? 

January 12th, 2009 09:00

ITA uses MIBs (from ESX) to classify servers in the ESX bucket. Specifically it uses VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB (http://www.oidview.com/mibs/6876/VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB.html) and VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB (http://www.oidview.com/mibs/6876/VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB.html). If you have Linux box, you can do a snmpwalk and search for these OIDs. You can even try grepping for the VM name in the snmpwalk.

You can also compare the snmpwalk outputs of the servers that are classified correctly, to the ones that are not.

But since the version of ESX is the same, I dont think you will see any difference.

No Events found!