Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2012 07:00

View ESXi 5 in OMSA Web Interface

I have been working to get OpenManage Essentials as well as the Management Plug-in for vCenter up and running for the past week or so.  I've been able to work through most of the issues that I've run into, but there's one thing that I'm completely stumped on and was hoping to get some assistance/clarity regarding our ESXi 5 servers.  Here is what I have done so far:

• Installed OME on a management server.  Discovered and inventoried several blade chassis, servers, and switches successfully.
  • Installed the OMSA 7.1.0 VIB on our VMWare hosts and configured SNMP on them.
  • Discovered and inventoried the VMWare hosts in OME via WSMAN successfully.
  • Installed the Management Plug-in and virtual appliance on our vCenter server.  Successfully inventoried the VMWare hosts, as well as installed firmware updates on them via the Firmware Update Wizard using the plug-in in vCenter.
  • Installed the OMSA Web Server on the same management server that OME is installed.
  • In the Dell Management Center settings in vCenter, configured the OMSA Web Server URL as https://managementservername:1311/

Now, here is where I'm running into my issue.  When I launch the OMSA Console from the Dell Server Management tab in vCenter, it loads the Managed System Login page from my management server and is asking for the hostname/IP address, username, and password for the server that I want to manage.  I have tried using both the hostname and IP address of one of the VMWare hosts, and the root username and password for that server.  I am also checking the option to ignore certificate warnings.  Regardless of what I try, the page tries to load for a while and then eventually gives an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  The URL in the address bar when this page comes up is https://managementservername:1311/servlet/LoginServlet?flag=true&managedws=false.

Using the Dell Troubleshooting Tool on the management server, I am able to successfully run the WSMAN and OMSA Remote Enablement tests against the VMWare hosts using the same root username and password that I'm using when trying to log into the web interface.

Can anyone shed some light on what I might be missing here?  Possibly an additional configuration step or setting that I've overlooked?  Thanks in advance.

1 Message

August 10th, 2012 18:00

Any luck with this as I'm having the exact same issue.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2012 06:00

No, no luck.  I've had a few other projects come up so I have had to back-burner this for the time being.  However, I'd love to hear from someone at Dell if they have any ideas as to what the problem could be.

5 Posts

August 14th, 2012 21:00

I too have spent days troubleshooting, but now have ESXi 5.0u1 b768111 OMSA login partially working.  Server is brand new r320.

I removed OM VIB 7.1, and installed OM VIB 7.0.  I am able to login from a Centos 6 x64 with OMSA 7.0 (dell latest repo) and FF10 10.0.6esr.  It seems to work fine, but is slow compared to my ESXi 4.1 servers.

Login from XP/2008 OMSA 7.1.0 and IE8/9, gets "Login Failed.... connection error"   <<< this is a OM error.

I don't have a Linux/Centos box with OMSA 7.1, nor do I have a Windows box with OMSA 7.0, so I can't easily test additional client/server situations.

Note for troubleshooting:  ESXi 5.0u1 b623860 (OM VIB 7.1) OMSA login resulted in a Connection timeout/page not found BROWSER ERROR.  After patching ESXi to b768111 (OM VIB 7.1) OMSA login resulted in "Login Failed.... connection error" OM page login error (not browser error).

Right now I am satisfied keeping OM VIB at version 7.0 and having to use Centos 6 OMSA 7.0 as the web manager to access ESXi 5.0u1 b768111.  I will keep watch on this forum.  I too hope a Dell tech can dig into this issue.  I don't use OME for snmp management, but it appears to me the last VMWare patch taking ESXi 5.0u1 to b768111 did  correct issues.  I think Dell needs to look into issues between OM VIB and OMSA.  

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 16:00

Update..... Dell pushed OMSA 7.1 in the latest yum repo.  I am still able to login from Centos6 OMSA 7.1.

OMSA 7.1 from XP still results in login failed.  I plan to update OM VIB 7.1 on ESXi to see if login

from Centos 6 breaks or not......

Update2...after ESXi OM VIB upgrade to 7.1, I am able to login from Centos6 x64 OMSA 7.1 remote.

Login from XP OMSA 7.1 still fails.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 14:00

Interesting, we have 6 R715 that have the exact same problem.

Using windows 2008 as proxy.

Still I only get this "connection lost page".

/Zeeuus

17 Posts

October 25th, 2012 11:00

I had similar issues today on a ESXi 5 update 1 server with OMSA 7.1 VIB installed. Connecting through the Windows OMSA server (port 1311) and logging into the remote server using the root user (will confirm tomorrow) eventually opened the page. This was through IE 9 on the local Windows 2008 R2 server.

You could try and telnet to your ESX host on port 1311 and see if you get a response. There are also some posts about the config not being correct when you install OMSA which may affect it. The server needs a reboot when you install and then you can check if the VIB is loaded

esxcli --server --username --password software vib list I think. vsphere cli and power cli have different command strings.

5 Posts

October 25th, 2012 12:00

Dell also released a new OMSA 7.1 VIB for ESXi 5.1.

5 Posts

October 25th, 2012 12:00

This issue is likely mute as Dell has released ESXi 5.1 customized install ISO.  It is marked urgent, so this update/upgrade may correct these issues.  I have not installed or upgraded to Dell ESXi 5.1, but have it on the calendar in Nov.  

17 Posts

October 26th, 2012 00:00

Hi

If there is a way to install over an existing server using the customised ISO and not lose all your settings I would greatly appreciate you sending it through.

There is also SUU 711 available and there are some potential issues with ESXi5 update 1 and Intel CPU's. basically make sure you patch your server BIOS on any server running ESXi 5 ASAP. it can cause PSOD as I found out at one of my larger customers yesterday.

17 Posts

October 26th, 2012 01:00

Hi Rudy

yeah I actually used it yesterday and it seemed to work fine but the installation instructions in the "manual" aren't perfect. I had to do some scrounging around in the forums for a clear understanding of what was required in the vsphere CLI commands.

5 Posts

October 26th, 2012 10:00

Does the ESXi 5.1 with OMSA 7.1 VIB allow access from a windows system?  IE & FF?  

Past experience with ESXi upgrade with option to keep datastore is very straight forward.  All VIBs including OMSA should be reinstalled (or confirmed).   Also verify SNMP config.  Regardless, I perform an offlne copy/backup of the guest (without snapshots) to a remote drive before any changes are made.

Dell PE servers purchased recently have been ordered with iDrac express and LifeCycle controller.  The LifeCycle controller allows the server firmware to be updated via FTP from bios...no SUU disc needed, but the process took approx. 40 minutes on the last server I updated (R320).

Rudy

October 26th, 2012 13:00

Make sure that when you log in using the vSphere Client, you use the *exact* same server name you used to register the Dell appliance with vCenter.  For instance, if you registered the appliance using vCenter's hostname, then use the hostname when logging in via the vSphere client.  If you used an FQDN, then log in with the vSphere Client using vCenter's FQDN - same with vCenter's IP.  You have to use the same identifier both place.  This post mentions the idea

virtuallymikebrown.wordpress.com/.../dell-management-plug-in-with-dns-aliases

Cheers,

Mike

No Events found!