Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2011 06:00

Windows 7 deplyoment on Dell Precision M4600 with SSD and SATA drive

Hello together

I have the new Dell Precision M4600 modell which I would install with Windows 7 via SCCM 2007 R3. The model include a SSD and a SATA drive. The OS has to be installed on the SSD drive not on the SATA drive.

Does anybody have any experience how to handle this in the SCCM 2007 R3? Does it give a white paper from Dell?

Thanks!

June 13th, 2011 23:00

does anybody have an idea?

thank you!

1.1K Posts

June 14th, 2011 07:00

Yes, the whitepaper for deploying an OS with ConfigMgr is located below. I haven't seen any issues with deploying to a SATA drive.

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/mDYE7bnRrlWoZizDORaazg857573

55 Posts

June 14th, 2011 07:00

I had a similar issue with the M6500. We had two different specs. One with a single SATA drive and one with an SSD and a RAID 0 set of drives. What I have been doing is using WMI queries against the disk type to detect the SSD (In our case a SAMSUNG) and use that to determine which type of M6500 we are imaging.

As for which disk, the system with the SATA drive is like all other machines where the OS is applied to disk 0. The one with the SSD and RAID drive setup has a disk 0 and disk 1. No matter what I tried on the RAID controller and BIOS, the SSD always answered as disk 1. So, I use the WMI query and the fact it has the SSD to format and use disk 1 for that particular model.

As far as deploying a standard BIOS, I use the CCTK to do that. This ensures all machines are configured the same way. Hope this helps you out!

1.1K Posts

June 14th, 2011 08:00

Yes, I've seen the issue with drive identification and ConfigMgr, when multiple drives are available. I think it was primarily a problem when booting with a USB key. If we used a CD to boot the system, the issue went away. It was reported to MS, but I don't recall if there was a solution pending.

55 Posts

June 14th, 2011 09:00

Not sure about the USB boot thing, but I know drive letters can get re-ordered especially if you have hidden partitions etc. In any case, we use solely PXE boot in our environment.

June 14th, 2011 23:00

many thanks for all the answers!

I deploy the OSD via SCCM 2007 R3 with and without PXE boot. So the PXE will start and the SSD has been formated. After them the OS apllied to the SSD and was succesfully installed. After the tasksequence made a reboot and do not continue with the whole OS deployment. That is my big problem. :-)

Does anybody has this problem?

Thx!

1 Message

July 6th, 2011 04:00

Dude.... Use the USB ports on the left side of M4600..... Ports on left side are USB 2.0 and that on right side are USB 3.0..... You should be able to boot your USB 2.0 device by connecting to USB 2.0 port on left side........ Issue Resolved ;)
No Events found!