Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2011 14:00

iDRAC 6.0 from afar

I have three T610 servers at a site.  I see in the setings it as port 5900.  But that does not seem to do anything.

I want to ip :5900 for one  ip:5901 for another, and http://ip:5902 for the third.

Surely someone knows how to get to the DRAC card from outside the network.  Obvioulsy I cannot use port 80 and 443 as they are in use by my server.

Thanks,

Grey

5 Posts

July 29th, 2011 19:00

The only way to get to a iDrac card from afar/outside the internal network is to setup a VPN.  This is because the card uses ports that are not configurable.

9.3K Posts

July 19th, 2011 21:00

Give the DRAC a unique IP address on each server, not the same IP address and a different port on each server.

793 Posts

July 26th, 2011 16:00

Also, you do use 80 and 443 on the DRACs to get the web interface up to begin with.  I suggest a VPN or similar connection to the LAN, then you can just open a browser and put in the IP address of the DRAC.

5 Posts

July 26th, 2011 17:00

I guess it is just not an advanced product.  It allows you to change the console port, but I am not sure why as it does not work with a standalone VNC client.  Obviously 80 and 443 will be used in most any organization.  A VPN seems to be the only answer and they just had another layer of slowness and complexity to the mix.

The theory behind a web based interface is the idea that you can get to it from any device anywhere.

If you want to reply that the IDrac card is useless from afar, I can mark that as an answer.

9.3K Posts

July 26th, 2011 22:00

I'd say that the ability to pull up the web interface (port 80/443) on a unique IP makes it quite usable from afar in my book.

5 Posts

July 29th, 2011 19:00

Obviously one of us does not know squat about IT.  Since you you are the Dev Mgr for this product.  I say that because your feedback matches the capability of this product.

Please explain to me how "I'd say that the ability to pull up the web interface (port 80/443) on a unique IP makes it quite usable from afar in my book"I willprobably mark VPN as the answer

I only waste my time typing all this because it may be educational/helpfull to others wit the same card.

To restate the problem.

I have 3 iDrac cards in servers on my lan.  To make the *magic* work from afar you have to map ports 80. 443, and 5900 to the ip of a drac card.  That "may" get one to work.  How about the other 2?

The misleading part of this card is what/why the option to change port 5900?  Why is that there?  How can that be utilized?

I will probably mark VPN as the answer, but I am not satsified with that, as what is the deal with the 5900 thing?  It must have been put there for a reason.

1 Message

September 15th, 2011 14:00

So for me the best way to set up VPN with a drac-card is if the card itself had the VPN capabilities. When it powers on it connects with VPN to its "home" net. This way you can place the computer with drac card in any firewall protected network and still connect to it. Can this be done? If it can I think this is the way we will go for our servers placed at customers net.

Ola

5 Posts

September 16th, 2011 15:00

Only config is the IP.  If you can make your "Home" ip's available on the internal Lan it should work

No Events found!