Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TM

68 Posts

April 21st, 2021 09:00

iDRAC 7 inaccessible after Openmanage install

I have been noticing an issue accessing iDRAC 7 Enterprise through the IP generated on my Poweredge T420's screen. This started to happen once i installed OpenManage recently, htinking it would give me something extra within iDRAC, from what Dell's site said. The package i installed was OM-iSM-Dell-Web-X64-3.6.0-2255_A00.exe. This seemed to install another network adapter "Remote NDIS Compatible Device". Every since that showed up, i can no longer access iDRAC using the internal IP. I tried disabling that new adapter, but i still can't get to it. Any ideas what i can do so i can get to it again?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 21st, 2021 20:00

Can you uninstall OM-iSM-Dell-Web-X64-3.6.0-2255 and see whether you are able to access iDRAC. Are you accessing iDRAC from aonther client or from the server itself. Also clarify what IP are you using and whether iDRAC is in dedicated or in shared mode.

68 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 05:00

Thanks for your response Shine,

I did try to uninstall it and reboot the server, but it still wasn't working. The new 3rd network connection was still there as well after the uninstall, but i didn't think to uninstall the manually, as i thought the Openmanage uninstall would have take it with it. The IP of the iDRAC that the outer screen shows is 192.168.1.160. I usually go into the iDRAC through a computer on my local network. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by dedicated or shared mode, though the iDRAC card does have its own ethernet cable plugged in if that helps.

68 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 06:00

Yes i do get ping results for the 192.168.1.160, i have never done SSH before, so i'm not quite sure how to do that.

I did just run the reset command, got the getniccfg once it was finished rebooting to verify the same IP was correct, and when i try to go to the IP in my browser, it still says unable to connect.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

Can you check whether iDRAC IP is pinging from the computer from where you are accessing iDRAC. If yes can you SSH  to iDRAC Ip and see whether that works. 

You can also reset iDRAC by running command "racadm racreset" from the host and check the behavior once iDRAC is rebooted

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

Can you install iDRAC Tools from below link and run "racadm getniccfg" command. this command will give details on iDRAC network link, IP and mode
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2v013&oscode=wst14&productcode=poweredge-t420

68 Posts

Ok, i was able to get that to work which is good. I prefer the GUI over CLI though, so i don't understand why i can't get to it

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

You can download putty software and use it to connect to iDRAC using SSH. You can give iDRAC IP and connect using port number 22 and SSH on putty.

68 Posts

Sure, here's what it returned:

C:\Users\Administrator>racadm getniccfg

IPv4 settings:
NIC Enabled = 1
IPv4 Enabled = 1
DHCP Enabled = 1
IP Address = 192.168.1.160
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.1

IPv6 settings:
IPv6 Enabled = 0
DHCP6 Enabled = 1
IP Address 1 = ::
Gateway = ::
Link Local Address = ::
IP Address 2 = ::
IP Address 3 = ::
IP Address 4 = ::
IP Address 5 = ::
IP Address 6 = ::
IP Address 7 = ::
IP Address 8 = ::
IP Address 9 = ::
IP Address 10 = ::
IP Address 11 = ::
IP Address 12 = ::
IP Address 13 = ::
IP Address 14 = ::
IP Address 15 = ::

LOM Status:
NIC Selection = dedicated
Link Detected = Yes
Speed = 1Gb/s
Duplex Mode = Full Duplex
Active NIC = Dedicated

Static IPv4 settings:
Static IP Address = 192.168.1.101
Static Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Static Gateway = 192.168.100.1

Static IPv6 settings:
Static IP Address 1 = ::
Static Prefix Length = 64
Static Gateway = ::

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 22nd, 2021 07:00

Can you share output of "racadm get iDRAC.OS-BMC" and "racadm get iDRAC.webServer" command output.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

Which operating system and browser are you using to access iDRAC. Can you ensure browser is configured as per below link
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-in/idrac7-8-lifecycle-controller-v2.50.50.50/idrac_2.50.50.50_ug_pub/configuring-supported-web-browsers?guid=guid-a122d893-59f9-43c5-8607-a737dcd8f427&lang=en-us
Can you also try with a different browser or machine to access iDRAC and see whether that works.

68 Posts

Sure:

C:\Users\Administrator>racadm get iDRAC.OS-BMC
[Key=iDRAC.Embedded.1#OS-BMC.1]
AdminState=Disabled
OSIpAddress=0.0.0.0
#PTCapability=Capable
PTMode=usb-p2p
UsbNicIpAddress=169.254.0.1

C:\Users\Administrator>racadm get iDRAC.webServer
[Key=iDRAC.Embedded.1#WebServer.1]
CustomCipherString=
Enable=Enabled
HttpPort=80
HttpsPort=443
HttpsRedirection=Enabled
#MaxNumberOfSessions=8
SSLEncryptionBitLength=128-Bit or higher
Timeout=1800
TitleBarOption=Auto
TitleBarOptionCustom=
TLSProtocol=TLS 1.1 and Higher

68 Posts

That's the thing, it did used to work just fine in my local instance of Firefox before the installed package in question. But i did try to login to it from my laptop, same message in Firefox and Edge.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 22nd, 2021 19:00

All configuration looks correct only. Is there any firewall configured on the network which is blocking port 80 or 443?

Can you update iDRAC FW to latest and check the behavior. If it is already latest you can reflash the FW and try the behavior. You can download latest iDRAC FW from below location
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=0ghf4&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-t420

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

June 3rd, 2021 00:00

Hello,

If racadm command line access works but only GUI has an issue, even after racadm racresetcfg performed, please try once doing AC Power Cycle (Remove Power cord -> Wait for 30 Seconds -> Insert Power cord) back the server. Hopefully, it would resolve and IP should be able to work from GUI.

Thanks

Vivek

#Iwork4dell

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

June 7th, 2021 07:00

Hello again @the.mknabster,

However, I would recommend you not to share that information on a public forum. I edited that part of your message if that's ok for you. 

Ok. So your server is a PowerEdge T420 and it was sold with a Enterprise dedicated port Enterprise license. None of that is lost and eventually, it should work as expected (if we are able to fix the issue).

First thing first, and consifering you have already cleared the flea power as per @DELL-Vivek S instructions. I would suggest to reset the iDRAC. I suggest you to do it using the System Identification button. Here you have the procedure to follow: How to reset the Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC)? https://dell.to/2Sei1zG and then check again. You can ping-t the iDRAC IP and see how it should stop for a while and then respond again. Wait around 10 minutes from first response and try the connection again.

Reset your local server IE settings to factory defaults, make sure you are not using any proxy settings and that the iDRAC management ethernet is connected to the same network. Also.. if you have an Ethernet crossed cable, you can directly connect the cable to a laptop and check the connection.

Second, please, go to the Lifecycle Controller (F10 on boot) and check the firmware version for the iDRAC and BIOS. Let us know that. While you are on the LCC, you can also check the log history to see if you have any hardware errors.

Please, let us know.
Regards.

No Events found!