Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2015 07:00

iDRAC FWUpdate with racadm fails

HI all,

some specs first:

iDRAC8, Current Firmware: V2.10.10.10

RACADM ,V8.2, x64

I try to update the iDRAC Firmware with V2.21.21.21 and the racadm remote connection.

Syntax:

racadm.exe -r 1.2.3.4 -u MyUser -p MyPassword fwupdate -u -p -d FW_V2.21.21.21.exe

After some time I get the error message:

ERROR: Unable to transfer image file to RAC.

Most the time, next try with same syntax will give:

ERROR: Remote host is not reachable or connection is interrupted.

Also there is a firewall between the racadm.exe host and the iDRAC.

Only TCP/443 and TCP/5900 are allowed.

Is there any other port necessary?

Is there any user/admin rights missing?

Wich interfaces are required for this type of FW update? (Telnet, SSH, IPMI,....)

Any help/info is much appreciated!

Thanks!

22 Posts

March 21st, 2018 11:00

Still fails after racadm upgrade. messageid: RED006. What firewall ports need to be open between OME server and idrac? Is it trying to download update from the internet or OME server?

Update: Running this command was successful:

I wonder if OME relys on the Internet and that is why it is still failing. I think it is restricted on what it can access. 

racadm -r $idrac -u root -p $rootpw update -f firmimg.d7 

The Copying Operation has begun,
	This might take several minutes to complete, depending on the network.
	Do not interrupt the operation.
RAC987: Firmware update job for firmimg.d7 is initiated.
This firmware update job may take several minutes to complete depending on the 
component or firmware being updated. To view the progress of the job, use the 
"racadm jobqueue view" command. If the job is scheduled, the system will require a manual reboot.
To reboot the system  manually, use the "racadm serveraction powercycle" command.

Finished: SUCCESS

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 21st, 2018 19:00

I hope your iDRAC FW update is successful. Can you let me know what is failing after upgrade.

Remoe racadcm use iDRAC https port 443 for communication. No other ports are used by remote racadm

22 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 11:00

Hi, remote racadm works now. Nothing is failing anymore after upgrading to 9.1.0. What I still cannot do is use OpenManage Essentials to update lifecycle controller firmware. I'm looking to confirm what needs to be in place for that to work properly. The server can't use ftp to download firmware from dell. I think network connectivity is the issue but not sure. 

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 19:00

As iDRAC update issue is resolved, you can start a new post in OpenManage Essential page for this problem.Link Below

https://www.dell.com/community/Dell-OpenManage-Essentials/bd-p/Dell-OpenManage-Essentials 

No Events found!