Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

November 1st, 2018 01:00

iDRAC Local Users and Directory Services

I'm experiencing an unexpected behavior when trying to login to an iDRAC when directory services are unavailable.

I have local users configured in addition to directory services "enabled". I would expect to be able to login using local credentials whenever the iDRAC is available, but to be able to login using network credentials only when directory services are up and running.

However, if I shutdown all servers, including the directory services host, I am unable to login to the iDRAC using any user credentials, including local users. When trying to login, the username and password are entered, but then a spinner is displayed for a while before timing out and returning to the login screen with blanked fields.

That seems counter-intuitive. If systems break, as they do, I would expect to be able to use a local set of credentials no matter what circumstances. (When everything is up and running, authentication and access using local user creds is fine)

Is there a method/setting where I need to configure the priority/ordering of username authentication? ie. Local users should take precedence over directory services and the first successfully authenticated method is accepted. 

This is using iDRAC9 on a PowerEdge R740, firmware 3.02.00.01

• 

6.2K Posts

November 1st, 2018 09:00

Hello

It sounds like it is timing out while trying to authenticate with a remote server. If you were attempting to login locally then there should not be a long delay for an authentication failure. If you have directory services enabled then it may not default to the iDRAC as the authentication method. Make sure iDRAC is selected in the drop-down if you are attempting a local login. If you continue to have issues then I suggest updating to the latest firmware before troubleshooting. There may have been something related to your issue that was corrected with an update.

http://www.dell.com/idracmanuals/

Thanks

No Events found!