Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

June 30th, 2018 10:00

iDRAC Update stuck

Hello,

I am currently updating all of my device firmware through LifeCycle controller, on a Dell r720xd server, and the update process seems to be completely stuck on the iDRAC Update task.

The Progress Bar has not moved whatsoever in the last 30 minutes, and the time estimated for this task was only 40 minutes, yet has been running for 1 hour and 24 minutes, and the progress bar is at the exact same point it was at when the time was at 48 minutes.

What should I do in order to solve this?

Can I potentially cancel the update?

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2018 05:00

MNLeone,

What were/are the BIOS, iDrac, and Lifecycle Controller versions when you started, currently, as well as what version you are trying to update to? This will help us get an understanding of what could be the issue.

Let me know.

Thanks.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2018 18:00

I just ran into the same exact scenario. Same server model. Same issue.  Did you ever figure yours out?

1 Message

August 22nd, 2018 10:00

Did anyone make any progress on this?

I encountered the exact same thing on an R620.

My iDRAC 7 and LC versions were 2.52.52.52 and the LC was upgrading it to 2.60.60.60.

BIOS was 2.6.1 with the LC taking it to 2.7.

i350 NIC firmware was also being updated, I did not capture that version info prior to the upgrade.

During the upgrade the LC upgraded the BIOS first, then the NIC, then the iDRAC.  The BIOS and NIC firmware were both successful and showed green checkmarks.  The iDRAC update task ran long just as described by MNLeone, however despite the task showing as still running the iDRAC DID get updated and became available again to log in to at one point during the task.  I let the iDRAC update task run for close to 2hrs total before I performed a cold power cycle.

The unit did boot back up and went directly into the lifecycle controller where the task flashed up as failed and the server immediately rebooted once more directly back into the lifecycle controller.  This time I simply exited the LC and booted the server as normal.

Nothing appears broken and everything is running smoothly.  I need to do the same process on an R720 so I may update the iDRAC separately first, then use the LC to do the BIOS and NIC firmware upgrades.

-Jason

August 28th, 2018 19:00

@jclouser80This is exactly what happened on my R620. Appeared to update, rebooted the iDrac, and continued to run for another hour.  Thanks for your post as it gave me the confidence to cold cycle the server.  As with you, everything appears to be OK. 

23 Posts

May 20th, 2020 15:00

yeah man these R640 lifecycle controllers are bugged. Selecting FTP as the method and yeah it will be stuck lots of times requiring power cycles. I have found that either simply retrying the download, or applying the firmware updates one at a time works a lot better. But been fighting with this for days. I have left these servers updating over night and still they are stuck on downloading update package 6 of 8...

got 3 identical servers and all have this issue. best bet is trying the updates one at a time starting with bios update and lifecycle controller updates. what a pain.

restarting does not seem to bother it though. Now to reset idrac again because even though it has an IP and is pingable, i cant bring the webpage up (sigh).

2.9K Posts

May 20th, 2020 15:00

This isn't an issue I've run into on the 14th gen. What iDRAC firmware revision are you on, if you don't mind my asking? I also saw below where the web GUI was giving you issues. What browser are you trying to access it with?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 21st, 2020 06:00

Can you try with downloads.dell.com instead of ftp.dell.com

also while selecting components for update can you try without driver pack selected

January 3rd, 2021 18:00

Same problem on R520 Server.  Updated BIOS, NIC Firmware, and iDRAC via Lifecycle Controller using FTP.

Waited 3 hours - no joy. Saw the iDRAC reset during the update, lost connection briefly, but retained remote control via the DRAC the whole time.

Cold-cycled, system rebooted.  Server went to Lifecycle controller automatically and briefly showed the update screen but crashed to a black screen.  Power Off -> Power On.  Entered Lifecycle Controller again automatically, but not update screen.  Went to Lifecycle Log: nothing about the iDRAC.  However, everything just before the update was dated 1999-12-31.  In System Summary. I see Firmware 2.65.65.65 (the version it was supposed to update to).

So, it appears the issue is converting the logs.  In the log filter on the iDRAC, I can't search for entries during the update.  Instead I get:

RAC0675: Results are not available for the search criterion entered. Enter another criterion and retry the operation.
Clearly a bogus error message, as I can actually see entries during the date range specified, and the 1999 updates appear ahead of those before the update.

Server appeared fully functional and I rebooted to Windows Server 2012R2 just fine.  To be safe, I re-applied the 2.65.65.65 update from Windows (took about 10 minutes and lost connection briefly during the process).

Cleared the logs via OpenManage and confirmed logs were clear in the iDRAC.

So, moral of the story:

Install iDRAC updates via OS not Lifecycle
Export the logs before the update
Hope and pray it doesn't happen again

No Events found!