Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2017 22:00

iDRAC card for R620 failed iDRAC

Hey guys, after searching on this issue for a couple days and trying everything possible, I'm out of ideas. We have a Dell R620 that is experiencing some kind of iDRAC failure. It complains of initialization errors, communication errors, and the Lifecycle controller being disabled. I've tried the "remove the power and let it sit, or hold the power button for 10 seconds" trick. I've updated all firmware that the system will allow me to update. I am unable to update the BIOS or iDRAC firmware from Windows.  I can't find a utility that will update the iDRAC from DOS. The system will still boot after a long delay and a couple F1 keys, but the fans run 100%. Anyway, it seems as though we're looking at needing a new motherboard, as the iDRAC on these is integrated directly on the board(briliant Idea!!!). My problem is that the support has lapsed, and my company is currently in a purchasing freeze. Does anybody know if it's possible to just disable this thing, or maybe install a new iDRAC card along with the on-board card to get this resolve without a motherboard replacement? and second question ; is there any problem if I continue using it like that ?

Thanks for your help 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2017 10:00

Hello.

Reset the iDRAC using the i button on the front of the server. Press it for about 15 seconds and reboot the server to force the iDRAC to complete initialization and observe whether or not the errors persist. You may also apply the LifeCycle Cycle repair package, see link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=80XJ1  

April 17th, 2017 00:00

Hi, Thanks for your advise but it doesnt work.

Is it possible to install an iDrac card on this server  if yes which model ?

Thanks again

January 30th, 2019 01:00

I have the same problem and there is no I button on the fron of the R620...

13 Posts

February 1st, 2019 11:00

Hello,

Did you tried to perform full power drain on the server?

Shutdown the server then remove power cables, wait 5 mins, then you can remove power supply units and change the positions, then restore all the power, and start the host.

If you have a message during BIOS initialization with "IDRAC initialization failed, IDRAC not ready, that possible that IDRAC gone forever.

As I know IDRAC is on the board, that is not a card.

2 Posts

December 14th, 2022 20:00

Format an SD card with FAT 32 and put firming.d7 and insert it to the SDCARD slot in the front near the IDRAC button and restart the server . If it is just a corrupted firmware it detects the SDCARD and reflash the firmware and works . If it is some hardware issue then it will not be able to fix it . 

In R420 SDCARD slot is on the back near the idrac console connection . 

No Events found!