Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 10th, 2012 09:00

iDRAC update on ESXi Host

I've noticed there is a iDRAC update for my R720 server but am confused as how to install the update.  The machine itself is using dual SD cards to boot ESXi on the device and there is not a native OS on the box.  I've tried both the Windows and RPM install thorough virtual hosts on the machine however they say my machine doesn't meet the requirements to install the software.

Is there a work around way to be able to install this via the web interface and obtain a firmware file?

• 

8.4K Posts

December 10th, 2012 09:00

Rsaeks,

There are a few options.

Once you have the driver there are a couple ways to install iDRAC firmware updates with ESXi installed:

1) iDRAC updates via iDRAC web GUI

2) iDRAC updates via command line using RACADM

1) This option is to get the .IMG file update package, extract the file then perform an update either through the DRAC web GUI (assuming your iDRAC is connected to the network and addressable). To do that you type in the IP address of your DRAC card in any web browser, log in with the username / password (if you haven’t changed anything u:root p:calvin) then click on the iDRAC Settings > Update tab. Point the GUI towards the firmware image, and you should be good to go.

2) Using a tool called RACADM (Remote Access Controller Administrator) you can update the firmware via a command line. The comand to update firmware is racadm fwupdate -p -u -d

If you have Internet connectivity in your datacenter, you can just boot USC by pressing F10 during post and choose platform updates.

If you don't have access to the internet, you can still do updates by creating an SUU USB key and booting to USC. To see how this is done, watch the video entitled “USB Updates Using Repository Manager with Lifecycle Controller” on en.community.dell.com/.../1767.dell-repository-manager.aspx

Let me know how it goes.

1 Message

October 7th, 2013 10:00

Great instructions but when I search for idrac7 firware / drivers I can't seem to get the .IMG file update package.

793 Posts

October 10th, 2013 17:00

Look for the "Hard drive file", it is a .exe that when you extract it will have the .img inside.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

October 11th, 2013 02:00

No Events found!