Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2014 14:00

iDRAC v 1.56.55 and LC v 1.4.0.128 WSMAN login issues

Hello,

I am using WSMAN to remotely configure iDRAC on some R620 servers and the newer servers which came with the newest iDRAC/LC firmwares as well as the ones that I've upgraded to the latest firmwares behave strangely w/ WSMAN commands - so that every now and then the WSMAN command comes back saying that username/password combination was incorrect but they are not and sometimes it works, other times it doesn't which now means that I have to ignore exceptions and retry the same command several times in the script... 

I also see a slew of the following logs in the LC log store: 

USR0031     Unable to log in for NULL from NULL using NULL.     <---------------
USR0030     Successfully logged in using root, from 192.168.100.10 and WS-MAN.
USR0031     Unable to log in for NULL from NULL using NULL.   <---------------

does someone know what exactly the "null from null using null" is supposed to mean?

Thank you,

-Ovidiu K.

12 Posts

May 16th, 2014 13:00

Daniel,

I tested the latest firmware as well (iDRAC v 1.57.57 with the LC2 v 1.4.2) and the same Lifecycle Controller log entries are seen for each WSMAN command (USR0031     Unable to log in for NULL from NULL using NULL). However, at this point since everything else seems to be working - haven't had any authentication errors anymore - these log entries are inconsequential (okay maybe a little anoying to the eye but nothing I can't live with). That being said maybe someone from the iDRAC/LC development team wants to take a look to see why these entries are logged with each WSMAN command...

Thank you and regards,

-Ovidiu K.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2014 13:00

Hello Ovidiu

USR0030     Successfully logged in using root, from 192.168.100.10 and WS-MAN.
USR0031     Unable to log in for NULL from NULL using NULL.   <---------------

does someone know what exactly the "null from null using null" is supposed to mean?

It is exactly the same as the line above it. The first is the user, the second is the location(IP), and the third is the method(WS-MAN, IPMI).

The message is telling us that when you are receiving the user/pass combination errors in your scripts it is because the iDRAC is receiving NULL values for those fields. I'm not sure exactly why it is receiving null values. It may be expecting credentials at a certain point and they are not provided, it could be packet loss, or it could be changes made with the new firmware.

The latest 1.56 firmware addresses a lot of issues. One of them was how the iDRAC was handling sessions. If your scripts are not processing within a certain amount of time then the credentials may need to be re-entered. If these are extremely long scripts then you may want to break them up.

If it is not happening every time then it is not an issue with credentials being expected and not present in the script. In that case it would be a latency, packet loss, or session issue.

I'm not the best at scripts, but please provide more info on the script if you need further assistance.

Thanks

183 Posts

May 8th, 2014 09:00

If the script is definitely not passing NULL, try a "racadm racreset" then try WSMAN after a few minutes.

12 Posts

May 8th, 2014 09:00

The script is not passing NULL I'm sure of that, since I had a full debug turned on for a couple of test runs in a lab environment and was able to confirm that. 

Running WSMAN commands is a hit and miss at times (I've seen this in previous iDRAC firmware releases as well, but usually a retry after a short period of time works - so I can live with that). Also in my configuration scripts before each command I do check the iDRAC's RS API status and the iDRAC service processor is reset each time before the script begins the configuration phase, however this error about the authentication was new and the LC logs filling up with the "null from null using null" happens for each wsman command (successful or not) something that definitely was not there in previous versions.

Either way I was able to work around this by a simple retry in the subroutine that handles the actual WSMAN command (see the end of this post in case you're interested). Also there is a newer firmware version available for the iDRAC7 1.57.57 - I'll give this a try as well and post an update.

This is the subroutine I use to call the wsman command for those that are interested (this is a heavily modified version of the one found in dell's wsman_common.py module):

import subprocess
        import re
        import sys

proc = None
        retrycount=0
        while (retrycount < 3):
                try:

proc = subprocess.Popen(wsman_command,
                                                shell=True,
                                                stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
                                                stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
                                                stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
                # Added to avoid being prompted for a username/password
                        while True:
                                line = proc.stdout.readline()
                                if re.search("Authentication failed, please retry",str(line)) != None:
                                        proc.kill()
                                        raise Exception("Connection problems or invalid credentials!")
                                if proc.poll != None:
                                        break
                        break

except Exception, e:
                        sys.stderr.write('Error: %s. Exception during wsman command.\n' % e)
                        retrycount +=1

sys.stdout.flush()
        stdout_value,stderr_value = proc.communicate()
        rc = proc.returncode

return stdout_value,stderr_value,rc

Regards,

-Ovidiu

No Events found!