Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 10th, 2013 14:00

iDRAC6 Firmware update and version questions

I am about to bring all my iDRAC6 up to date with the latest firmware and I have a few questions.

The latest version listed for download is iDRAC6_1.80_A01_FW_IMG.exe

iDRAC6 firmware download page:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=5XJ40

That's 1.80 but if you go to the bottom of that page higher version numbers of 1.85, 1.90 and 1.92 are listed as previous versions.

That doesn't make sense.

Where can I download 1.92 as it seems to be the latest version.

Some of my iDRAC6 are still at firmware version 1.50.

Can I go right from 1.50 to the latest or do I need to do it in steps? If steps then which ones to get to the latest. I don't want to brick my drac!

272 Posts

January 11th, 2013 08:00

Hi Cameron,  I just updated the page at:

en.community.dell.com/.../4357.idrac6-home.aspx

Firmware 1.92 is available at

downloads.dell.com/.../iDRAC6_1.92_A00_FW_IMG.exe

I asked around and I don't think there are any issues going straight from 1.92 to 1.5 but no guarantees. In my experience, the update will just fail if you have to stage the upgrades.

615 Posts

January 11th, 2013 09:00

Thank you Peter!!! :)

615 Posts

January 11th, 2013 10:00

Peter any chance you have the link to the RACADM reference guide for iDRAC6?

The link from the Dell iDRAC6 page is generating:

Server Error in '/Support' Application. :)

272 Posts

January 11th, 2013 11:00

Not sure what's up with the links lately.  Sorry you had a bad customer experience on the page.  Here's the latest iDRAC6 reference guide I found online. support.dell.com/.../clr.pdf

615 Posts

January 11th, 2013 12:00

Thanks Peter!

615 Posts

January 21st, 2013 10:00

When running a remote rac command to upgrade the firmware I am getting an error in my tftp server logs showing that the command is trying to append /firmimg.d5 to my get location.

I need some clarification of exactly what file the firmware update command is looking for.

On the DRAC page I downloaded the .exe file for the upgade I am trying to achieve.

Is this .exe file not the file I should be trying to remotely get from my tftp server when issuing the remote rac command?

What is the firmimg.d5 file?

What is the exact syntax I should be  using for the remote rac command?

I am using:

racadm -r x.x.x.DRACIP -u redux -p rSRLxh3d fwupdate -g -u -a x.x.x.TFTPSERVERIP -d /tftp/firmware_upgrade_file_name.exe

x.x.x.DRACIP is the IP of my DRAC

x.x.x.TFTPSERVERIP is the IP of my TFTP server

firmware_upgrade_file_name.exe would be the filename of the .exe file downloaded from the dell site.

272 Posts

January 21st, 2013 11:00

firmimg.d5 is the extracted firmware image - the exe file should contain the image once you extract out the files (run the exe file)

It seems you are trying to upgrade an iDRAC5?  Here are the different image file name extensions based on the iRAC type.

• iDRAC7 — firming.d7

• iDRAC6 for rack and tower servers — firmimg.d6

• iDRAC6 for blade servers — firmimg.imc

• CMC — firmimg.cmc

• DRAC5 — firmimg.d5

• DRAC4 — firmimg.dm1

615 Posts

January 21st, 2013 12:00

Thank you Peter!

This is very helpful :)

I was trying tell the iDRAC to get the .exe.

Didn't know I needed to extract first. I am on a Mac and thought the DRAC update process would run the .exe locally on the iDRAC after the get.

So just to confirm:

All firmware iDRAC6 update files no matter what version 1.55, 1.85 or 1.92 all will have the same file name of firmimg.d6 and the name should not be changed after extraction to something like firmimg.1.92.d6 for filname segregation from other versions as the iDRAC firmware upgarde process will be looking for the firmimg.d6 by name.

39 Posts

February 20th, 2014 00:00

I just downloaded 1.96 from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=63KCR&fileId=2789070077 and extract iDRAC6_1.96_A00_FW_IMG.exe, only to find 2 files:

firmimg.d6

iDRAC6_1.96_A00_Internal_Release_Notes.txt

How do I upload firmimg.d6 into iDRAC6 without any exe file to execute???

February 20th, 2014 05:00

Hi Crescendas,

The easiest is to login into the iDRAC GUI. Then go to the updates tab. Click 'browse' and select the .d7 file. 'Upload' then 'apply'.

There are 4 white papers descibing updates here: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/4317.white-papers-for-idrac7-with-lifecycle-controller-2.aspx

regards,

steve

615 Posts

February 20th, 2014 17:00

Crescendas,

Did you set up the drac with it's own IP during boot when you first set up this chassis?

If so then go to that IP in a browser.

default login creds are root/calvin

39 Posts

February 20th, 2014 17:00

Unfortunately there is no GUI. How do I activate this GUI? Is it running in Windows or outside of the OS? I have configured static IP on the iDRAC. What else do I need to do?

FYI, this server is installed with ESXi.

February 20th, 2014 19:00

Hi Crescendas,

I believe that any server running with iDRAC will have the iDRAC GUI. It is launched using any browser(IE, Firefox, etc.).

Type in your static IP of the iDRAC, not OS, into the browser. Then you will need credentials to login to the GUI. Then follow steps in previous post.

Please let me know if this helps.

steve

39 Posts

February 20th, 2014 19:00

Ya, I knew that. the IP address to iDRAC is not even pingable. Do I have to do anything else to activate it?

1 Message

February 14th, 2018 19:00

If the IP is not pingable it might be set to a static IP and is not getting DHCP - you can plugin a KVM console to see (and change) the network settings when the system boots up.

Also - since you're using the web browser an Apple MAC OS X computer make sure you have the latest Java installed and use the Safari or Firefox web browsers (Not chrome) to access the iDRAC6.

To get the firmimg.d6 download the .exe package for windows, rename it to .zip, and then you can extract the files in the self-extracting windows EXE archive. Find it in the "Payload" folder.

No Events found!