RE: iDRAC6 Firmware update and version questions

Hi Crescendas,

The easiest is to login into the iDRAC GUI. Then go to the updates tab. Click 'browse' and select the .d7 file. 'Upload' then 'apply'.

There are 4 white papers descibing updates here: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/4317.white-papers-for-idrac7-with-...

regards,

steve

0 Kudos
crescendas
2 Iron

Unfortunately there is no GUI. How do I activate this GUI? Is it running in Windows or outside of the OS? I have configured static IP on the iDRAC. What else do I need to do?

FYI, this server is installed with ESXi.

0 Kudos
cameronredux
1 Copper

Crescendas,

Did you set up the drac with it's own IP during boot when you first set up this chassis?

If so then go to that IP in a browser.

default login creds are root/calvin

0 Kudos

Hi Crescendas,

I believe that any server running with iDRAC will have the iDRAC GUI. It is launched using any browser(IE, Firefox, etc.).

Type in your static IP of the iDRAC, not OS, into the browser. Then you will need credentials to login to the GUI. Then follow steps in previous post.

Please let me know if this helps.

steve

0 Kudos
crescendas
2 Iron

Ya, I knew that. the IP address to iDRAC is not even pingable. Do I have to do anything else to activate it?

0 Kudos
IbenR
1 Copper

If the IP is not pingable it might be set to a static IP and is not getting DHCP - you can plugin a KVM console to see (and change) the network settings when the system boots up.

Also - since you're using the web browser an Apple MAC OS X computer make sure you have the latest Java installed and use the Safari or Firefox web browsers (Not chrome) to access the iDRAC6.

To get the firmimg.d6 download the .exe package for windows, rename it to .zip, and then you can extract the files in the self-extracting windows EXE archive. Find it in the "Payload" folder.

0 Kudos