Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2016 06:00

iDRAC6 Virtual Console (Connection Failed)

I'm at the point of pounding the keyboard and tossing it across the room with not being able to

get the Virtual Console to successfully connect. Here is the situation......   I'm able to access the iDRAC remotely via GUI or SSH and login and/or make changes without any issue. When I attempt to run the Virtual Console, it simply fails to connect. I get the error message in my Java Console of "Connection Failed".

Now I've read other posts and recommended fixes and none of them had made any difference. Here is what I've done to date:

1) Added the DRAC IP into the Java Exception List

2) Changed the Java Network Setting from Browser to Direct Connect

3) Disabled Encrypted Video on the DRAC

4) Upgraded the Firmware to v2.85

5) Confirmed using tcpdump that my host and the DRAC can talk on port 5900

6) Cycled the DRAC Plug-in Type between Java and Native

7) Run the Virtual Console (viewer.jnlp) both through the browser and downloaded the .JNLP and used javaws on it.

I'm completely out of options and of what else I could do to make the Virtual Console connection stop failing. Does anybody have any other theories that might be causing me problems?

2 Posts

December 15th, 2016 14:00

Had the same problem but I came up with a solution.

I start the jar manually using an old Java jre. It even works as a portable launcher!

See the example at github.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 10:00

I have updated the example with a script that you can run under MacOS/Linux.

Tested with jre-7u79-macosx-x64.

17 Posts

November 17th, 2016 08:00

Chris:

This is a IDRAC Enterprise and the server is a PowerEdge R710.

• 

8.4K Posts

November 17th, 2016 08:00

Albyva,

Would you confirm for me if the server has an iDrac Express or an iDrac Enterprise? I ask as the Virtual Console is only available with the iDrac Enterprise. If you do have an Express you can get the licensing for the Enterprise to get it to function as needed. Let me know if you have the Enterprise, but it isn't connecting. Also would you confirm the model server this is with?

Thank you. Let me know. 

• 

8.4K Posts

November 17th, 2016 09:00

If you access the iDrac, under iDrac Settings does the NIC show as Dedicated or Shared, as seen below?

If set to shared then change it to Dedicated. Then verify the cable is connected via #13 below.

Let me know.

17 Posts

November 18th, 2016 20:00

Confirmed.  It is set to Dedicated and connected to the port marked #13 in the diagram.

Is it possible to create a virtual console if you just SSH into the server? I see where you can type
 'console com2' at the admin1 prompt, yet I always get back nothing. Likely another setting issue. Overall, I'm just looking for some way to skin this cat before I tell the remote site to unrack this server and ship it back to me for manual fixing.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 12:00

I am having the same issue.

I have another server with same specs and drac works fine on the same.

If you found the solution please let me know.

17 Posts

November 28th, 2016 06:00

Sorry ITOrtiz..  I wish I found a solution that worked remotely. Instead I had to bite the bullet and

get the data center techs to box up my server and ship it back to me.

If the powers that be at Dell are listening, I'd recommend a feature which allows for SSH access to the

DRAC which gives you console access to the server without having to initially setup BIOS Comm. settings. I wish that when I typed (console com2) it just worked the same as having the Java GUI setup.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2016 11:00

I followed your instructions and it worked!!! thank you!!!

17 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 20:00

Anybody got a Macbook recommendation?  This fix looks like Windows.

5 Posts

April 20th, 2017 16:00

Your instructions are excellent, but they did not work for me. No fault of yours though. For some reason, the DRAC is refusing connections on port 5900. I see the SYN packet go out and the RST packet come back from the DRAC. It is an iDRAC6 Enterprise. Any idea why it is not listening on port 5900? 

5 Posts

April 20th, 2017 17:00

Disregard, I got it!

1 Message

April 21st, 2017 10:00

How did you get it? Trying to solve too.

5 Posts

April 21st, 2017 20:00

I followed ITOrtiz's steps. In my case, I had an additional issue that the DRAC car simply was not listening on port 5900 or 5901. Doing 'racadm racreset hard' did not help. I had to power the server off fully, including the DRAC. After that, it worked. 

3 Posts

May 20th, 2017 04:00

I updated firmware from 1.95 to 2.85. Now when I click on Launch Virtual Console. Nothing happens.

Zero. None. Null. I tried on Chrome, Firefox, Windows 10, Ubuntu 17.04. Turned off adblock

No Events found!