Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2016 06:00

iDRAC6 Virtual Console (Connection Failed)

I'm at the point of pounding the keyboard and tossing it across the room with not being able to

get the Virtual Console to successfully connect. Here is the situation......   I'm able to access the iDRAC remotely via GUI or SSH and login and/or make changes without any issue. When I attempt to run the Virtual Console, it simply fails to connect. I get the error message in my Java Console of "Connection Failed".

Now I've read other posts and recommended fixes and none of them had made any difference. Here is what I've done to date:

1) Added the DRAC IP into the Java Exception List

2) Changed the Java Network Setting from Browser to Direct Connect

3) Disabled Encrypted Video on the DRAC

4) Upgraded the Firmware to v2.85

5) Confirmed using tcpdump that my host and the DRAC can talk on port 5900

6) Cycled the DRAC Plug-in Type between Java and Native

7) Run the Virtual Console (viewer.jnlp) both through the browser and downloaded the .JNLP and used javaws on it.

I'm completely out of options and of what else I could do to make the Virtual Console connection stop failing. Does anybody have any other theories that might be causing me problems?

1 Message

July 1st, 2017 10:00

XBB,

Thank you for making the .bat file. 

Your program worked for me using the latest jre. There were a few caveats:

I had to copy the files to the java folder in program files(x86). I wasn't completely sure if this was the case based on the structure you provided on github.

I had to rename the jre folder so that it just reads jre. (originally jre1.8.0 changed to jre).

The .dll files were .jar for me.

Once I figured out the correct file structure, the program worked like a charm.

3 Posts

April 25th, 2018 14:00

Hello everyone,

I just bought two refurnished IDRAC6 Enterprise for my out of warranty R710s.  iDRAC works good, and is dedicated and not shared.  Networking is plugged into the iDRAC port.  I cannot do a virtual console.  I get a connection failed. I have put the IP of the iDRAC in the Exception Site list of Java config.

Not sure what else to do.  But there is no support for my R710, nor for these newly purchased enterprise cards.  Curious if anyone has suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

April 26th, 2018 11:00

Had the same issue today on a recently updated iDRAC6 - Enterprise.

Before Update: Firmware v1.0.0
After Update: Firmware v2.90

I didn't reset the settings during the Update. Just afterwards.
This seems to have corrupted the upgrade somehow.
I flashed it threw the WebUI both times.

My solution was to simply reflash v2.90 over again with reset settings enabled.
The console applet just works fine now.

1 Message

May 31st, 2018 08:00

re-enable SSv3 support on java

Go to Java installation folder.
Open {JRE_HOME}\lib\security\java.security -file in text editor.
Delete or comment out the following line "jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3".

7 Posts

June 4th, 2018 20:00

@MathieuW wrote:

After trying a whole bunch of things I gave this a shot and it worked!!!  Thanks for the post.

Roveer

6 Posts

June 6th, 2018 21:00

In my experience, this all has to do with the java version. I uninstalled Java 8_171 and installed 7_79 and now my iDrac console works perfectly. This is not ideal because the older versions of Java are not secure. Not really sure what else we can do it about it when the iDrac6 doesn't work with newer versions. 

I have a separate VM that I run the older Java version in. I shut it down when not in use. 

June 14th, 2018 05:00

Nice catch! that solution worked instantly... 

5 Posts

June 28th, 2018 11:00

Commenting the line out fixed it for me.

13 Posts

August 7th, 2018 07:00

Re-enabling SSLv3 in the Java security config got this working for me as well, after I had tried "everything" including the latest iDRAC6 firmware and packet captures.

The iDRAC6 remote console feature requiring SSLv3 is an epic fail on Dell's part. Come on, people, it's 2018.

August 8th, 2018 04:00

Hi,

I've found that RC4 is the issue here not SSLv3, commenting out the whole line enables all the algorithms, hence why it has worked for some.

I found simply removing RC4 from the list was adequate, this is on an R610 with iDRAC 2.91 and Java 8 Update 181.

James

1 Message

August 10th, 2018 06:00

Re: iDRAC6 Virtual Console (Connection Failed)

Thanks!

1 Message

August 23rd, 2018 06:00

Installed an older version of 7.79
Everything is working

1 Message

September 16th, 2018 02:00

Thanks, its work perfect.

1 Message

September 18th, 2018 12:00

@James Harpercan confirm, just removing RC4 from the options works here as well, R710 with the same setup as everyone else. Thanks to everyone here, I've been fighting this forever and just couldn't figure out what was wrong.

1 Message

September 28th, 2018 18:00

Commenting out that entire line did the trick for me, which included the RC4.  Earlier when SSLv3 was mentioned, I only commented that out and put the others on their own line.  Once I found that you guys disabled the whole line, then it worked for me.  

Thanks to everyone that posted!

For years I have dealt with weird JAVA compatibility at work.  Had no idea I might be able to edit the java.security file to fix things!

No Events found!