Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2014 06:00

iDRAC7 KVM keyboard and mouse not working in WinPE 5

Hi. We have a strange problem here. Deploying servers remotely via iDRAC. When we boot via PXE to a WinPE 5 image (WS2012R2), keyboard and mouse are not working. When we boot WinPE4 (WS2012 (non-R2)) or older, it works fine.

The PE image is working fine, I've verified it in a virtual machine where I can use kb+mouse just fine.

What could be the problem? Some Java incompatibility? Or some iDRAC kb+mouse redirection problem regarding the latest WinPE?

I've tried this in Firefox (since I can't access the iDRAC at all from IE11 - it won't let me access HTTPS website with self-signed certificate at all).

We cannot use older version of PE, it has to be 5. The servers in question are M620s.

183 Posts

February 27th, 2014 06:00

I am running on 1.45.45 and have the same issue. I don't think downgrading the idrac FW fixes anything. I heard WinPE5 support isn't officially being added until late 2014.

1 Message

March 3rd, 2014 13:00

FYI - a reflash is not necessary but only a RACRESET.  In order to do this from the idrac webpage click troubleshoooting -> diagnostics -> Reset idrac. This still takes a couple minutes but does temporarily fix the issue. 

10 Posts

March 7th, 2014 09:00

I was able to fix this applying 1.51.52 FW

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-m620?driverId=VM84T&fileId=3214168013&osCode=WS8R2

6 Posts

March 10th, 2014 04:00

Flashing to 1.51.52 only solves the problem until the next time I start WinPE. Resetting the iDRAC as described above is indeed an easier way to get the mouse and keyboard back, but this is also only temporary...

24 Posts

March 19th, 2014 17:00

Geoff, is there any update on this issue? I've noticed iDRAC FW 1.56.55 was released on 14th February, but patchnotes don't mention any solution to this.

3 Posts

March 27th, 2014 17:00

At this time I am able to provide the following information discovered regarding the issue,

The root cause is a subset of the Microsoft Windows Pre Instillation Environment (WinPE). Upon booting into the WinPe, Microsoft issues the command   “Winpeinit” before handing the command prompt over to the user. The “Winpeinit” is the subsystem responsible for enumerating all plug and play devices connected to the system. Once it boots and performs it's function's, it remains running and allows for hot plug and play device additions going forward.

When you PXE boot, by the time it hands over control of the command prompt, the “Winpeinit” did not properly enumerate the Idrac Keyboard and mouse (local keyboard and mouse also attached work fine).

Work around to get the keyboard and mouse working:

Once you see that the server is at the command prompt in the “preview window” in the Idrac web interface and before launching the virtual console, perform an “Idrac reset” to “reboot” or “re-initialize” the Idrac. To the Winpe environment, this acts as if you unplugged and plugged back in the keyboard and mouse.

24 Posts

March 31st, 2014 09:00

jmckinley2, thanks for the information, but ...

this workaround has been described in previous posts, but that doesn't solve the problem and it's not really acceptable workaround for my situation since we're doing automated zero-touch Bare-metal installations. Manually resetting the idrac is of no use to us and it will not work since in my case the WinPE image is pushed in by SC VMM and immediatelly starts/attempts an installation after winpeinit finishes. This process will fail before the idrac reset is completed.

3 Posts

March 31st, 2014 12:00

There are a few things to consider, is it a true zero touch deploy? or does it require minimal interaction? in my zero deploys, I set the machine to PXE boot on next boot and shut it down. then I remove all boot images from wds except the one I want. ( I leave the one that boots to sccm), then disable the requirement to require the F12 key stroke and set it so I do not have to authorize any machines. from there it boots directly into the zero deploy SCCM task sequence. Installs the OS, roles, Drivers, applications Etc. no interaction required. Hence a truly automated zero-touch deploy to bare metal., and I have no need to access the idrac or the winpe environment. After the OS is installed, Idrac is detected as a K/M input. I have seen a lot of coworkers try to do a lite touch deployment where they have to press F12 to get into the PXE menu, then select the boot image, then boot, then select a particular SCCM sequence to kick things off. which defeats the purpose of automation. If the later your scenario, i would suggest giving a fully automated sequence a try. add it to a collection and push that particular task to that collection.

11 Posts

April 4th, 2014 13:00

I have opened a Dell ProSupport Plus case for this issue. The next step Dell suggested was to download the latest .iso for Windows Server 2012 R2 with Update, which was released on 4/2/2014. Then create a new boot image using the source files from the new .iso. I have not tried this yet as I have to have someone else in my company access the .iso download. Has anyone tried to do this yet using the .iso that was released on 4/2/2014? 

3 Posts

April 4th, 2014 15:00

I got word today on my case that adk 8.1 with winpe 5 will not be supported until later this year. And was instructed to use adk 8.0 which uses version 4 of winpe.

April 24th, 2014 08:00

I have the same problem... when will Dell relase an update for this?

1 Message

May 6th, 2014 07:00

I paid a best wireless mouse Logitech and ever appear something wrong as yours.

11 Posts

May 6th, 2014 12:00

I just updated one of my R720's to IDRAC firmware1.57.57 and the issues was resolved.

May 7th, 2014 02:00

This is true. Just have a look at the releasenotes:

iDRAC7 - Fixes ================================================================================

* Key board and Mouse does not work in WinPE 810 through iDRAC Virtual Console.

You can download it here.

Best Regards

Sascha

No Events found!