Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 16th, 2015 14:00

iDrac 8 Virtual Console very unstable

I just got in a few new servers and have some strange issues with the iDrac 8 Virtual Console. I have one PE730, two PE730xd, and two PE430.

What will happen is that that sporadically it will stop responding for a second or so. It will sometimes show a "Link Interrupted" on the bottom and then the screen will show "Reconnecting" for about 30 seconds but it will reconnect and work for a bit. It happens quite frequently about 1-2 times every 5 minutes but not always.

What's really strange is the two PE430 iDrac modules don't have this issue, just the two PE730 servers. They are all on the same network and even the same switch. The ports look fine and I don't see any errors on the ports to suggest dropped packets or something else. I've even moved them around switches but it's always the same.  I've tried changing the performance settings and everything I can on the Java virtual console client but it makes no difference.

Any idea what I can try to fix this or at least find what is causing it? At least it works but it's very frustrating while working on it.

Thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

June 16th, 2015 16:00

Hi,
Is the iDRAC firmware up to date? www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;fileId=3462420586&osCode=W12R2&productCode=poweredge-r730&languageCode=EN&categoryId=LC

If you plug the iDRAC into a laptop directly does it disconnect still?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

June 16th, 2015 21:00

Is your iDRAC is in shared or Dedicated mode. If shared mode can you let me know which NDC card and operating system installed on the server. Is Spanning tree protocol is enabled on the switch

June 24th, 2015 09:00

Firmware is all up to date and it is set to Dedicated in the network NIC Selection. Spanning tree is enabled. I haven't thought of just directly connecting it. I'll give that a try and let you know.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

June 24th, 2015 10:00

If spanning tree is enabled there could be Link Interrupted message in virtual console. In this case, it is recommended to enable "portfast" for the switch port connected to the iDRAC.

July 13th, 2015 09:00

Just got around to checking this and STP is actually globally disabled on the switch. I checked the specific port to be sure and it also shows disabled. I have two of these switches connected via a LAG group between them. Not sure if that would be the problem.

To be honest I've never had a lot of luck with these PC 2848 switches. Even had some old Dell servers that wouldn't even work on them and we had to fall back to some old 2724's for those.

No Events found!