Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2005 07:00

iap handle leak

On a GX280, in the Windows task manager, in the process list, there is iap.exe. The handles column of iap.exe is growing continuously.

After 4 weeks, the memory is saturated and the PC needs to be rebooted...

6 Posts

March 28th, 2005 15:00

Hi,

Did you ever find what the problem is ?

My company uses GX260, GX270, GX280 ... My help desk started reporting to me many workstations are hanging. Event log shows they are running out of memory. (Srv error).

One of the machines had event log errors about iap.exe loading a DLL bad image ,,,, (Something like that)

Please let me know if you discovered anything on this. I'm still analyzing some of the machines that crashed because of this problem.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2005 05:00

Hi,

The only think i did was to disable the iap service (in the control pannel) and the problem disappeared.

this isn't realy a solution...

6 Posts

March 29th, 2005 12:00

Thanks for responding.

I called Dell yesterday to attempt to get this resolved. I was passed to a few departments but no real answer. I setup perfmon on 2 workstations Yesterday. Today the IAP.EXE handles grew from 120 handles yesterday, to 4901 handles this morning.(Highest in the system) I'm surprised that Dell doesn't know about this issue.

Thanks for responding

99 Posts

March 29th, 2005 16:00

What version of the client instrumentation are you running and also what operating systems and service packs are the systems in question running.

6 Posts

March 29th, 2005 16:00

@DELL-SeanC wrote:
What version of the client instrumentation are you running and also what operating systems and service packs are the systems in question running.

Thanks for responding

Windows XP SP1 and the OMCI version is 7.01.0382.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2005 05:00

I have Windows XP SP2 (french version) and OMCI version 7.01.0382.

8 Posts

March 30th, 2005 20:00

I too would love to find a solution to this problem as I am having the same problem with version 7.01.0382.  I am having the problem on both GX270's and 280's running either XP SP2 or 2K SP4.  I don't have this problem on GX270's running the older 7.00.0316 OMCI or its update 7.00.24.

In addition to the handle count I've also seen an increase in the pool paged bytes for the Iap service using perfmon.

I wouldn't have noticed it because most computers here end up getting rebooted at least once a month.  But I recently deployed 40 machines (GX270's) that autologin with an Active Directory account which has a group policy applied to it that among other things, disabled the ability to lock the computer.  These machines are supposed to stay on at all time, but after 25 - 30 days they would suddenly start locking.  I found out that it was because the group policy couldn't update and reverted back to the local workstation policy.  That happened because the networking services stopped working because the system paged pool was empty (System log: Event 2020; Source Srv).  Rebooting the machine would solve the problem.   I even setup a script to restart the service on one of the machines if the handle count got over 10000, which kept the machine running fine past the 30 day mark, but was obviously not a long term solution.

Until recently we were deploying GX270's which can run with the older version of the OMCI without problems.  At some point I updated the 270 image (probably after the first of the year) with the new version and it's on those machines that I see the problem.  Unfortunately, we just started receiving 280's and the only compatible version I see for that system is the affected 7.01.  Reinstalling the 7.1 OMCI does not appear to take care of the problem either.

As for the 40 machines I spoke of above, I ended up disabling the service, but now the system log is full of DCOM errors 10005 (about eight messages every minute) because it keeps trying to start the disabled Iap service.

Most of our machines here are running the older OMCI version without a problem, but since I started using the new version I haven't found one yet that isn't affected and I've looked at about 50 of the 150 or so that are running the new version.  I just checked a GX270 workstation running 2K SP4 with the old 7.0 OMCI and running for over 7 days the handle count is less than 130.  Then I checked another GX270 running 2K SP4 and OMCI 7.1 that I started 2 hours ago and the handle count is over 550.  In my experience you can see the issue within 15 minutes by watching the handle count of the Iap service.  If it starts climbing right away you're in trouble, and machines without the problem stay below a handle count of 200.

Sorry for the book, but hopefully this will help.  I don't see how it could be anything other than a problem with the 7.1 client, but I've been surprised before.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2005 12:00

I can ditto this " I too would love to find a solution to this problem as I am having the same problem with version 7.01.0382.  I am having the problem on both GX270's and 280's running either XP SP2 or 2K SP4."

Has anyone come up with a real solution to this?

6 Posts

July 21st, 2005 16:00

I solved the problem by un-installing the software and not using the product in any of our environments.

8 Posts

July 25th, 2005 14:00

Nope.

The 270's you can run the older version of the OMCI.  But for the 280's, if the PC's reboot more than once a month they will probably be fine, but otherwise don't bother installing it.

99 Posts

July 25th, 2005 15:00

There is a beta update for the the driver utilized by the Openmanage Client Instrumentation that should fix this issue. At this time the file R93902 can be obtained directly via technical support.  I don't have a date yet for the public release.

Message Edited by DELL-SeanC on 07-25-2005 05:16 PM

2 Posts

July 26th, 2005 14:00

Thanks for the update. I'll skip the beta, thanks.

I have currently uninstalled OMCI from my affected PCs and don't know if I'll bother installing a newer version.

regards,

jaroslev

3 Posts

July 28th, 2005 06:00

I would love to get this beta fix, but since I'm in Europe, I am not sure how to get this update?
Can anyone mail me this fix?
No Events found!