Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2009 05:00

openmanage dell server updates OM_6.1.0_SUU joined ISO won't boot!!!

I assume that Dell has split the DVD image into two parts to accommodate FAT32 users, but it really makes me think that they are making it difficult to download the updates so that users will pay for the regular CD shipments when they purchase hardware.

I downloaded the OM_6.1.0_SUU_A00.001.ISO and OM_6.1.0_SUU_A00.002.ISO files and then followed the directions to make a DVD ISO. I tried both Unix and Windows methods, and the DVD is readable but not bootable... on any machine!

After I burn it, Windows opens the DVD just fine, and it starts to collect info about the machine, but I can't boot from it.

How can I make this joined DVD burn to bootable?

Here are the directions in the text file on the downloads page:
------
Download all ISO file segments into an empty subdirectory on your local hard drive. After you have downloaded all the file segments, run the following command to create the ISO file:
copy /b OM* OM_610_SUU_A00.iso [Windows]
cat OM* > OM_610_SUU_A00.iso [Linux]
Note: If the wildcard format above does not bring the file segments in the right order, run the following command instead to create the ISO file:
copy /b OM_610_SUU_A00.001.iso+OM_610_SUU_A00.002.iso OM_610_SUU_A00.iso [Windows]
cat OM_610_SUU_A00.001.iso OM_610_SUU_A00.002.iso > OM_610_SUU_A00.iso [Linux]
Use your DVD burning software to create a DVD from OM_610_SUU_A00.iso.
------

I followed the above directions, but it won't boot.

793 Posts

August 16th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for posting!  The Dell Server Update (SUU) DVD is not meant to be bootable.  It is intended to run from inside Windows.  If you want to run your updates in a non-OS environment, you can use the System Management Tools & Documentation (SMTD) DVD to boot the server, then use the firmware update option and put in the SUU disk when prompted.  You will still need to update the drivers separately.

Part of the reason for this is the SUU shouldn't update drivers on the OS if the OS is not running.

347 Posts

August 21st, 2009 15:00

The previous person is correct, SBUU was bootable, but SUU has never been bootable. SBUU has been intergrated into the Systems Management Tools & Documentation disc. SBUU can be used with SUU to update bios and firmwares, but not drivers. SUU can update both and OS drivers from within an operating system.
For help with using SBUU from the SMTD to update fw and bios before installing the OS, use the SBUU Users Guide.  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

For help with the SUU, see this guide:

August 16th, 2009 20:00

Thank you.

It looks bootable, though, and OM_5.3.1_SBUU was a bootable CD. I booted with it and then extracted the repository from the UU DVD and then updated with it before, but that doesn't work now.

So to confirm:

1 -:- To update BIOSes and so on BEFORE or AFTER installation, I need to boot with SMTD DVD and then insert the SUU DVD when prompted. I hope this is possible with only one optical drive.

2 -:- In Linux, use the SUU DVD to update drivers AFTER installation.

Am I correct?

793 Posts

August 17th, 2009 17:00

The SBUU was a different disk than the SUU... it is an older version of the current SMTD.

To update the BIOS, you can use your option #1.

You can use option #2 with any supported OS, Linux or Windows.

August 17th, 2009 19:00

At the risk of seeming stupid, I am not sure about how to use the SMTD. I assumed that Dell moved to DVD from the SUU CD so that the repositories could be on the same disk, but that does not seem to be the case.

I decided to upgrade the BIOSs, so I booted from the SMTD, but it asks for a repository location. I told it to look in its own DVD, but it wants a repository. I still have the SUU, and it is the same version (6.1.0) as the SMTD, so I put that in. However, I get an error: "The version catalog of the repository is corrupt. Retry with a different repository."

Does anyone know what I should do next?

Only a couple of months ago, I was able to boot from the SUU and use an extracted repository folder on a USB, and it worked fine.

743 Posts

July 28th, 2010 21:00

Just to revive this thread:

Is there a method to make a USB stick bootable and contain all that is needed to make firmware updates via SUU?

Thx,

John Bradshaw

204 Posts

April 18th, 2011 08:00

John,

I believe that there is a way to do it via a USB stick, or other USB storage device. basically you just need to put the repository onto it, and after booting to the SBUU, find it under the firmware update section. It will tell you to point it to a repository and give you an option list that includes cd/dvd rom, usb, or network location. So i assume if you've got a usb stick big enough to hold the SUU on it, or just the repository parts you need (i'm not 100% sure on how to get the individual components), that it should go off without a hitch.

Good luck!

No Events found!