Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2003 11:00

"unrecognised" Mibs and ITA

ITA 6.4.3

I can't figure out how to get ITA to recognise Mibs that it doesn't already know about.

e.g there are several Tape Libraries/Autoloaders that it recognises, but not a 130T. I have the Mib for the 130T, but don't know what to do with it...........

I really don't want to sit down and enter all the Enterprise OID's for 130T manually.

help

99 Posts

November 12th, 2003 19:00

WIth the current revison of  IT Assistant 6.4.x, you will have to manually setup a custom group and enter the OID's
That may change in a future revision of ITA.
For now its probably best to do the critical alerts.

11 Posts

November 13th, 2003 07:00

Thanks Sean,

At least I now know I haven't missed something, even though it means manually entering the OID's - oh Joy

38 Posts

November 19th, 2003 19:00

I have a Dell PowerVault 130T also (and a 120T too).  I've searched for an information on what and how to have my OpenManage agents report on these.  Can someone point me in the correct location.  Also, where did you get the MIBS for it?

Thanks!!

99 Posts

November 19th, 2003 20:00

As far as I recall the 130T and 120T do not have an IP management interface.
I'll have to check up on this since you would need a tape discovery agent on the backup system to generate alerts.
I do know that software such as Veritas backup exec will generate snmp events.

Will get back to you on it.

11 Posts

November 20th, 2003 07:00

Whoops - sorry my mistake. No I don't have a Mib for 130T, (wishful thinking).

As far as I understand it, to get SNMP messages and to talk to ITA etc,  the device requires an IP Address and some sort of SNMP agent.

I can find no documentation on how to add an IP address to a 130T (BTW it's a StorageTek box rebadged, and I've looked on thier site). . Even though there  is a serial link to the Library, as far as I can figure out it's just set up to load firmware etc - though I haven't tested this yet.

We run Backup Exec with NSE, even though ITA comes with Mibs for them "built in" there are other Mibs for these products with different Enterprise OID's. This means you can get different flavours of messages for the same "incident".

This isn't ideal though as I have loads of problems with drives going off line, and it would be nice to see what the Library thinks is going on rather than what Backup Exec thinks, as I'm sure Backup Exec maybe to blame.

The 130T is on a SAN attached to a 35F and then a 51F. I was hoping the switches might  have useful messages relating to the Library, but all I've gotton so far is "state of Port has changed" messages.

Apologies if I've sent anyone on a wild goose chase, I was hoping no one would notice the obivious mistake.

38 Posts

November 20th, 2003 13:00

Unfortunately my PowerVaults aren't on a SAN they are each separately attached to Dell Servers 130t is on a 4400 and the 120T is on a 2550.  They both have the OpenManage clients (version 3.5) and I run ARCserve for netware (NetWare version of 5.1 sp6) on them.

99 Posts

November 20th, 2003 13:00

If your tape units (130T & 120T) are attached to a Dell SAN you can use Visual SAN to pick up alerts on those devices
Latest  revision is version 3, you will need to contact Dell sales if you want this.

Dell Device Manager Plug-In for VisualSAN
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/openmanage?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~page=2&~tab=4

If you are getting drives drop offline on the 130T then examine the FIC codes generated on the front panel.

Contact dell technical support if you need help interpreting this codes

11 Posts

November 20th, 2003 14:00

Sean

Er Thanks, but no Thanks, we only have two SAN's and Visual SAN looks a bit pricey, and maybe over the top.

I'll just vow to make sure when we get new kit it's addressable via IP, and can run SNMP..

11 Posts

November 20th, 2003 14:00

Sean.

Visual San, Thanks. 

I've got the FSC codes. ta. 

No Events found!