Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2005 01:00

servers in "unknown"

I recently upgraded to IT Assistant 7.0 and almost half of my servers ended up in the unknown category...tried for a couple of days to figure out how to migrate them to the servers category to no avail.
I then downgraded back to version 6.5 and all is well...so I re-upgraded to version 7.0 (call me crazy) and the problem comes back.
In either install my servers have green check marks beside them...just that half of them are no longer in the servers category.
I've noticed that several others mention this same problem...has anyone come up with a solution?...
I realize that its not that big of a deal, the green check indicates communication is up and working...but for detail oriented people, this is a bit maddening! 
HELP!!!

2 Posts

November 8th, 2005 20:00

I have not done that on all servers...I will give that a try...thanks !

22 Posts

Have you run the Server Installation on each server so that they have the client instrumentation package installed?

626 Posts

Yeah, you probably have to upgrade OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator) on all your managed servers.  OMSA 4.5 is the latest version.  You can find it from the downloads section on support.dell.com

I recommend just upgrading OMSA on one of your managed servers.  Then try it out.

Message Edited by tester25 on 11-08-2005 04:50 PM

November 8th, 2005 21:00

In ITA 7, try to use the Tool -> Troubleshooting menu to see which of the steps of discovery you make it through. Unknown seems to mean it pings, but it doesn't communicate well enough to talk to the ServerAdministrator software.

It could be SNMP community names, or a CIM communication issues. ITA 7 definitely does not like old style OMCI using DMI,... but recent ServerAdministrators using SNMP/CIM should be fine. Somewhere around Dell support  there is an 2004 Dell White Paper on configuring the ITA Discovery Service. I found it has a little age on it, but it does a very good job of explaining which versions of what ITA communicates with.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/DiscoveryWhitepaper_Final.pdf

This unfortunately does not seem to be in the main list of white papers any more.

No Events found!