Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 25th, 2016 14:00

Clearing Critical VRTX Chassis Alerts

When I sign into the VRTX CMC GUI for a particular system, there are two Critical Alerts on the Chassis Overview > Properties > Health page (which is the default homepage). The lights on the front of the physical chassis are also flashing red.

The critical alerts relate to the internal fans. Clicking the "chassis" link in the alerts takes me to the chassis section of the page, which shows a green check mark, and checking the fan information in the CMC GUI shows more green check marks.

Checking the hardware log shows a green check mark, and checking the Chassis log shows one alert: "The Chassis Log file was cleared."

How do I remove the critical alerts?

My CMC version is 2.0.4.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 26th, 2016 10:00

Hello

Many errors will persist throughout the system until the hardware log is cleared. The error status does not automatically clear for some events if the status returns to normal. It is set up this way to be sure you are aware of critical events that occurred on the system.

I would suggest saving the hardware log prior to clearing. It is useful to have have a history of logs when troubleshooting any future issues that may occur.

Thanks

3 Posts

March 1st, 2016 11:00

Hi Daniel,

Even with the hardware log cleared, the alerts persist on the home page. I can't find a way to remove them. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2016 09:00

Hi Daniel,

Even with the hardware log cleared, the alerts persist on the home page. I can't find a way to remove them. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

What is the exact error?

Which logs did you clear. There are hardware logs on the modules and there are chassis logs as well.

Thanks

3 Posts

March 11th, 2016 08:00

Here are some screenshots showing the errors that are displayed, the two logs that have been cleared, and the fan status.

This error message has persisted since before clearing the logs.

1 Message

April 26th, 2017 12:00

Was there any solution found to this?  i'm having the same issue and would like to clear that home screen.  I have also cleared both the hardware and chassis logs but the alerts are still showing on the main page

3 Posts

June 12th, 2017 01:00

Hi

Yes, I will like to know the same, both logs deleted, but still see "Foreign Configuration was detected on Physical Disk 0:0:22"

• 

6.2K Posts

June 12th, 2017 10:00

Hello

I will like to know the same, both logs deleted, but still see "Foreign Configuration was detected on Physical Disk 0:0:22"

Clearing the logs will stop the system from reporting issues that have already been resolved. If the issue continues to be reported then it is an active error. Active errors will not go away by clearing the logs. You should troubleshoot and resolve the issue. If the error persists after the issue is resolved then you may need to clear the logs to stop it from being reported.

Thanks

3 Posts

June 28th, 2017 05:00

Hi

But the HD does not report any problems when checking that, but under chassis health is the alarm still listed. How to clear that?

/Carsten

• 

6.2K Posts

June 28th, 2017 13:00

But the HD does not report any problems when checking that, but under chassis health is the alarm still listed. How to clear that?

If you have cleared both logs then it is an active error. You need to resolve the issue to clear the error/warning. There are many possible reasons the drive will show a green check mark in the disk status but display a warning/error elsewhere.

One of the possible reasons would be that the drive is not certified. If you install a drive that is not certified it will show a green status on the physical disk, but warning lights will flash on the drive and warning messages may be in the logs to indicate a non-certified drive is in use. You should review the logs and information on the drive for any possible issues.

Thanks

3 Posts

June 29th, 2017 01:00

Hi

The issue started after testing Alarms by physically removing the Dedicated Hotspare Disk and reinsert it. The warning remained after the disk was reinserted.

I ended up remove the Dedicated Hotspare assignment and the alarm is gone.

The I re-assigned it as a Dedicated Hotspare.

Thank you for your support.

/Carsten

May 12th, 2023 14:00

Reset the CMC Web interface: Select Chassis Overview > Troubleshooting > Reset Components.
To reset the active CMC, in the CMC Status section, click Reset/Failover CMC. This will clear the chassis alerts that won't go away by clearing logs... Resetting the CMC does not impact server blades running in the chassis.

No Events found!