Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2010 14:00

DELL OpenManage, DELL Management Pack and System Center Operations Manager... confused!

Hi,

I have a DELL PowerEdge 2970 server running Windows Server 2008 x64. I would like to have some kind of monitoring of the RAID array (mirrored disks). On another server we have Microsoft System Center Operations Manager, and I've seen a Management Pack from Dell around.

My question is: where do I install the Management Pack; on the PowerEdge server or on the SCOM server? Is it enough to install the management pack, or do I need any additional software on the PowerEdge server? Where do OpenManage fit into all of this?

Secondary question is: do I need to reboot the server during any of these installs?

Thanks in advance!

793 Posts

February 18th, 2010 16:00

Thanks for posting!  OpenManage Server Administrator should go on the servers you are trying to monitor.  After that, I think you need to put the management pack on the system with SCOM.  That should let SCOM talk to OMSA and monitor the hardware.  I don't know about the management pack, but the OMSA install won't need a reboot.

12 Posts

February 18th, 2010 23:00

Thanks for the information! Do I need the server to be a member of the AD for this to function?

743 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 14:00

Again, best fielded at the previous web site I mentioned, but to answer quickly, if the server to be monitored is not part of your domain where the Opsmgr RMS resides, then you will need a gateway server, or use certificates, to allow the OpsMgr agent to communicate with your RMS.

John Bradshaw

743 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 14:00

Hi jos,

For OpsMgr, the Dell MP (version 4) is imported in to your RMS. No reboot is necessary.

Do make sure that you have read the doco that comes with the DELL MP or nothing will show up in OpsMgr!  eg Your version of Dell OMSA needs to be at a certain revision or nothing will be discovered correctly in OpsMgr.

The OpsMgr specific questions are probably best fielded at  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagergeneral/threads

Also, there is a brilliant MP being developed to discover all sorts of hardware alerts using SNMP and OpsMgr at http://operatingquadrant.com/2010/01/21/xsnmp-management-packs-beta-version-1-0-8-release/

This is still in its early days, but give it another month or two and the hardware monitoring via OpsMgr should be great!

Cheers,

John Bradshaw

12 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 15:00

Ok, thanks for the information! That's all I needed to know :)

No Events found!