Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2010 08:00

Dell OpenManage

Guys,

This is my first time posting on this forum so bare with me here! We have a number of PowerEdge servers in out enviroment and we have an OpenManage management server.

I'm looking for the OpenManage agent to install on my PowerEdge servers. When I go to the Dell website I found the following under management software "Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node (Distribution Specific)". Is this the agent?

Thanks is advance.

342 Posts

November 16th, 2010 09:00

Yes, that's the agent. The naming is quite confusing. Managed Node is also known as OMSA in most circles.

6 Posts

November 18th, 2010 03:00

Thanks for your reply. I have a followup question. Just to give you some background info. We have a large number of Dell's running ESX in farm.

I'm currently testing rolling out the agent to the ESX servers. So far I've managed to install OpenManage on one of our test servers in the lab. I now need to setup an OpenManage
management server.

Can I use the same software I downloaded for the agent? Can I set up the management server on a VM?

Thanks.

23 Posts

November 18th, 2010 08:00

"Can I use the same software I downloaded for the agent? Can I set up the management server on a VM?

Thanks. "
There are 2 options for the management server: IT Assistant (aka ITA, aka OpenManage Management Station) and Dell Management Console (DMC). Both are available as downloads from support.dell.com and both will run on a VM, I'm doing that today. Not sure if either is officially supported on a VM, but it works for me (less than 50 managed servers reporting to ITA in my environment, 1 reporting to DMC.)

I'll be honest, I'm hanging with ITA because we had it before DMC existed and it works for us. DMC is probably a better bet these days, but I'll defer to Scott to answer that.

Also, for installing the OpenManage Managed Node agent on ESX, Scott has some script resources at: http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Install+and+Configure+OMSA+on+ESX.
You can learn more about OpenManage at: http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/OpenManage+Systems+Management

50 Posts

November 18th, 2010 11:00

There are major differences between the IT Assistant and Dell Management Console, too numerous to list, but ITA is much easier to use and more lightweight, DMC runs on the Symantec Management Platform (AKA Altiris) and requires a beefier server and SQL backend.

One rub about ITA, it won;t run on ANY 64-bit OS, as I found out when I tried to migrate it to Windows Server 2008 R2 a while back.
No Events found!