Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2013 02:00

ESXi 5.1 u1 (build 1157734) + OMSA 7.3 - can't login to administration pannel (OME 1.1 works fine)

Hi, Folks,

I have updated OMSA 7.2 A00 to OMSA 7.3 A00 and after that I can't login to managment console from my workstation:

I type IP-address, username, password and after clicking Submit (with ingnore certificates warnings enabled), nothing happens, page just reload without any error, in the same time, I can login to another ESXi server, with same version of OMSA installed.

I downgraded OMSA 7.3 to 7.2 on ESXi, but it didn't fix my problem.

I have OME 1.1 installed on other host and I can see, that there is Server Administrator 7.2.0 installed on my ESXi (see. attached picture), if check list of installed packets, OpenManage 7.2 also will be in this list.

Any ideas how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 1st, 2013 10:00

Hello evgeniy

There are several issues related to services within ESXi. One issue is during an OMSA update the services are supposed to be stopped during the update. Sometimes they do not stop correctly and this causes them to not function properly until restarted. My first recommendation would be to restart the services to see if this is the case. Here is a slightly related thread that discusses restarting the services:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4494/p/19491101/20322503.aspx#20322503

Thanks

4 Posts

September 1st, 2013 19:00

I used this comand before, with version 7.2 to solve problem with loging, this time I also tryed, but it doesn't help, 

BTW, there is still login problem with version 7.3, I just can login during 1-2 day after restarting services and than need to restart them again.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 4th, 2013 10:00

I used this comand before, with version 7.2 to solve problem with loging, this time I also tryed, but it doesn't help, 

I would suggest that you turn off the OMSA services, uninstall OMSA, and then reinstall OMSA. If the issue persists then restart the server during your next maintenance window.

Thanks

1 Message

September 4th, 2013 23:00

Howdy team,

I'm having the same issue and have logged a ticket with Dell support to investigate. 

I'm running ESXi 5.1.0 799733 with a W2k8 R2 SP1 EE VM on top. 

This is a fresh box, with fresh installs of the appropriate OpenManage 7.3 packages for both. I've tried rebooting and restarting services to no avail. As soon as I hit "submit" to login, with the right creds, it simple seems to refresh the login page. If I input incorrect login details, it returns a login/authentication failed message - i take from this that it's somewhat partially working. 

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'll try and report back if Dell support find a solution. 

4 Posts

September 6th, 2013 09:00

Daniel, thanks for reply, but could you kindly explain, what exactly do u mean by your suggestion, if it possible, command by command. Because I already tried reinstall OMSA on ESXi host without success, actually, I already tried everything you wrote, several times, except reinstalling ESXi, but I really want to avoid this step.

And one more question: is there any stable solution to prevent some OMSA services from down, I want to be sure that I can connect to my management panel in any time, without additional service restarting ?

Thank you.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 12th, 2013 18:00

Sorry about the late response, I was out for a few days and overlooked your response.

And one more question: is there any stable solution to prevent some OMSA services from down, I want to be sure that I can connect to my management panel in any time, without additional service restarting ?

This is not something I can correct. This is a VMware issue with services.

Daniel, thanks for reply, but could you kindly explain, what exactly do u mean by your suggestion, if it possible, command by command. Because I already tried reinstall OMSA on ESXi host without success, actually, I already tried everything you wrote, several times, except reinstalling ESXi, but I really want to avoid this step.

Go to etc/init.d/ and check to make sure these services are running:

./wsman status
it should return: openwsmand is running

./sfcbd status
it should return: sfcbd is running

./hostd status
it should return: hostd is running

If any of them are not running then start them and try connecting. If they are all running then stop wsman and sfcbd and uninstall openmanage:

./sfcbd-watchdog stop
./wsman stop
esxcli software vib remove -n OpenManage

After the uninstall you will need to restart the server. After the restart install OpenManage and let me know if there are still login issues.

Thanks

November 19th, 2013 12:00

I know I'm opening a stagnant thread here, but I am also having the same problem, and I don't think the problem lies on the VMWare side.

I have a new ESXi 5.5 server running OMSA 7.3 as well as a management server running OMSA 7.3, same problems after attempting to log in. If I try to use that management server to connect to my older ESXi 5.1 hosts running OMSA 7.1 I have the same problem. Yet I can connect with another management server running OMSA 7.1 to those older ESXi hosts running OMSA 7.1 without a problem.

When I try to connect the older OMSA 7.1 management server to the ESXi 5.5 host, I get a version mismatch error as expected and cannot continue. So if the problem is with VMWare, why can I connect 7.1 to 7.1 but not 7.3(mgmt) to 7.1 or 7.3 to 7.3? Everything points back to the OMSA 7.3 running on the management server, which has been re-installed twice.

B

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 03:00

I have the same problem, a fresh install of OMSA 7.3 won't connect to anything leaving our ESXi 7.3 hosts unmanageable.  It is not an ESXi problem, OMSA 7.3 under windows won't even connect to another OMSA 7.3 under windows.

Why is no one fixing this issue?

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 16:00

Literally the same exact problem here: ESXi 5.5 with this vib:

OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.3.0-588_A00.VIB-ESX55i.zip

Running 

OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-7.3.0-350_A00.exe

On Windows.

If I use the correct credentials, it instantly goes back to the logon screen. If I use invalid credentials it spins for a while and then eventually gives an authentication failure.

This is a brand new ESXi 5.5 install on a T620

20 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hi,

You can upgrade the OMSA on your windows workstation to OMSA 7.3.0.1 and try to Log in to your ESXi server.

Here is the link for the latest OMSA :

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=1H41W

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=R66DC

please let us know if this solved your problem

thanks

8 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 04:00

I have tried that.  No it does not solve the problem.

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 14:00

Actually, that worked for me. Thanks!

Edit:
For good measure I totally reinstalled ESXi with the same 5.5 ISO (that I bundled the OpenManage vib into) and the first thing I did was connect to it with the patched version of OMSA and it worked. Zero configuration of ESXi was required.

December 4th, 2013 14:00

Actually that resolved my problem as well. After some initial head scratching and restarting the management services all is good. Thanks for the patch!!!

1 Message

December 23rd, 2013 11:00

I just wanted to add that this patch also rectified the issue for me. Thank you very much!

8 Posts

April 11th, 2014 07:00

Still no fix for this?

A bad password gives an authentication error, the correct user/pass gives 'Internal Error'

The password has no special characters in it

Same problem with 7.4

No Events found!